Thursday, November 5, 2020

Report says Vladimir Putin will step down due to health concerns?

 

Vladimir Putin. New York Post/TASS/Getty.

A report says that Vladimir Putin will step down next year due to health concerns. New York Post. A political scientist from Russia claimed that Putin's girlfriend, Alina Kabaeva and his two daughters are pushing for him to step down. He also claims that Putin has Parkinson's disease. There is footage of Putin's hands trembling and his legs shaking. 

My Comment:

I'm extremely skeptical of this report to say the least. The source is on record at least but it seems like speculation at best. I have seen no indication whatsoever that Putin is thinking of stepping down or is ill in any way. Without better sources I think this story is almost certainly false. 

So why cover this story? It seems like a fake news story that is getting spread pretty far and wide. The source isn't great and I don't know why some random political scientist from Russia would know all about Putin's health and what his plans are. It's extremely thin and I wanted to point that out. 

I do think that Putin will step down eventually. He does seem to enjoy being President but at some point he will have to. It probably won't be next year though. I don't think he's in danger of being prosecuted when he does and I think he's popular enough for there not to be much risk for him. But on the other hand, power is an addictive thing and it's not easy to give up.

As for Putin's health, I kinda doubt that Putin is any worse off than anyone else his age. Putin is 68 years old so I don't doubt that he has some problems similar to others his age. I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that he has Parkinson's and the New York Post report and The Sun article they based their report on said there was video but they didn't post it. Without further evidence that he has the disease I doubt this story is at all true. 

I do think that Russia will be a very different place once Putin steps down. I am guessing that the American left will continue to blame everything on Russia but the country itself will be very different. Whatever you think of Putin, he has kept the country stable and there is no guarantee that whoever replaces him will be any better then him. Indeed, they could be much, much worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment