Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Editor's note: President Trump's Town Hall on NBC

 

President Donald Trump.

As you may be aware, President Donald Trump is scheduled to have a town hall event tomorrow on NBC News. The event is in place of the 2nd debate, which was canceled after the debate commission insisted on a "virtual" debate. The event will start at 7:00 PM central time and will be broadcast on NBC (and presumably MSNBC as well). 

Complicating things is that Joe Biden is also having a town hall event on ABC News at the very same time. Since both events are happening at the same time, I won't be watching Joe Biden's event. Instead I will be watching Trump's event as that is the one that is more likely to be impactful and intresting. 

As always, I will be live tweeting the event. You can follow along on if you want on Twitter, Parler and Gab. And since the event is happening fairly early in the evening and only lasts an hour I should be able to get a blog post up reacting to the event right away tomorrow night. 

There is a bit of controversy for holding the event at the same time. I tend to agree, but not for the reasons the blue check marks do on Twitter. I personally would have liked to see both events but that isn't going to possible unless I watch it later. I also think that it might hurt President Trump as nobody is going to watch the Biden event and that means less people are going to be exposed to his probable poor performance. 

Still, I am pretty sure that this will be a ratings coup for NBC News and a disaster for ABC News. The President is popular even among those who hate him and more people are going to tune in for his event. Plus all of his fans are likely to be watching. Though I think NBC is biased against President Trump, they couldn't leave these ratings on the table. 

As for the event itself, I'm not sure it works better than a debate. I don't doubt that the Florida voters will be anti-Trump, even if they are billed as being "undecided voters". Plus Trump won't be able to attack voters who ask him bad questions like he could with moderators or Joe Biden. On the other hand, if he keeps calm and shows a more adult/human side it might change a few minds. Either way it will be interesting to watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment