Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Biden Admin says they will go "door to door" to try and boost vaccination rates.

 

Joe Biden. White House photo.

The Biden Administration says that they will go "door to door" to try and boost vaccination rates. Fox News. The Biden administration fell well short of their goal of having 70% of the country vaccinated by the 4th of July and are trying to boost vaccination rates. They also cite concerns about the so called "delta variant", which has become the dominant strain. Both Biden and his press secretary Jen Paski said they would go door to door to try and boost the rate. Predictably many people were outraged by the plan and objected on privacy grounds. It is unclear how this effort would work out and how the government would know who is vaccinated or not. 


 

My Comment:

I am by no means anti-vax. I got my vaccine as soon as it was available after doing a cost benefit analysis and concluded that it was the right idea for me. Though I don't think the vaccine is right for everyone I do think it is a good idea for higher risk people. If I had gotten the virus last year or was younger and in better health I might have said no, but at my age and health I thought it was the lesser danger. 

And I do think that the vaccine isn't right for everyone. I don't see why anyone who had the virus should get the vaccine as they already have antibodies to protect them. And the very young, who are basically immune from the virus's worst outcomes have little reason to be vaccinated either. And it's not like the vaccines don't have side effects. For a young healthy person, it might be reasonable to say no to the vaccine since the virus poses a very low threat.

I think there are rational reasons to avoid the vaccine and some very irrational ones. I always though the "vaccine is a depopulation bomb" was beyond stupid because if the elite wanted to kill off a major part of the population, why would they target the group that actually goes along with them?

As for this initiative I can't think of a worse way to encourage people to get vaccinated. People hate being bothered at home or being lectured by people. And it sure seems to fit the conspiracy mindset that the government is out to get them. Sending people door to door is an intimidating act and one that won't be tolerated.

Indeed, it seems like an act of insanity that will likely lead to blood. At best people are going to be rude or dismissive to these people going door to door but I would not be surprised if there was actual violence. There are going to be people who see government agents coming to their house as an actual threat and I do think that some of them will be so angry that they might pick up a gun.

The other question is how the government will know who is vaccinated or not. That information is private and I am guessing that the government will just be guessing on who is vaccinated or not. If they do this door to door plan I doubt it will be at places that are highly vaccinated but even in low vaccination areas they will be bothering a lot of people that are already fully vaccinated. Unless they do have some database somewhere that has everyone's vaccination status, an idea that is extremely disturbing. 

People are also going to be highly suspicious of this effort considering the pandemic seems to be almost completely over. Things have largely returned to normal and very few people are getting sick. Indeed, I looked at Wisconsin's numbers and for the whole state it's only barely double digits. I am fairly certain with the combination of vaccines and infections we are either at herd immunity or nearly so. 

I also don't think that the "delta" variant is actually that much of a threat. It may be more contagious but it doesn't appear to be any more deadly. I think the media is hyping it up because they get better ratings and views if they hype up the threat. But I don't see it as much more than that.

Regardless, I don't think this plan will go well for the Biden administration. Given the massive outrage over the plan I am guessing it will probably be walked back. They will say that Biden and Paski misspoke and that they weren't talking literally. My guess is that the plan will not actually happen, but if it does...

No comments:

Post a Comment