Thursday, March 18, 2021

Two more states are on the verge of passing permitless carry for firearms, Iowa and Tennessee.

 

iStock. 

Two more states are close to passing permitless carry for firearms. Fox News. In Tennessee the state senate passed a bill that would allow people to conceal or open carry firearms as long as they are legally allowed to own one. The bill has passed the senate but has not yet passed the house, though it is out of committee there as well. In Iowa permitless carry passed the state house on partisan lines. It will now go to the senate. The law would allow people from Iowa to get permits for reciprocity purposes. 18 other US states have permitless carry in some form with the state of Utah being the most recent. 

My Comment:

As the Democrats are talking about gun control on a national level, it's clear on the state level that the momentum is going in the other direction. Many states now allow carrying of handguns without a permit and if these two bills pass, which I think they will, that means 20 states will have permitless carry. 

I would also like to add that there are states like my home state of Wisconsin where you need a permit for concealed carry but not for open carry. If my math is right half of states allow for permitless open carry, with there being more restrictions on concealed carry. 

What do I think? I never thought that the idea that permits for carrying were on solid constitutional grounds. After all, the 2nd Amendment allows for people to keep and bear arms and no permit should be required to exercise that right. 

I would also say that my states permit requirements are a major reason I why I don't carry a handgun regularly. Though Wisconsin is a shall issue state it does require classroom instruction. That is both inconvenient and annoying for someone like me who has a difficult work schedule, and even more so during a pandemic. It did create a cottage industry of people that teach the class but I would be more happy if those classes were not required and I could just carry. 

I do think there is value though in teaching people how to carry. Though the chaos that the left has always predicted from widespread CCW and open carry laws has never even come close to coming true, it is nice to have a good idea of when and how you can use force in your state. It's also good to know how to interact with cops. Even though I don't think that people should have to be permitted I do think that some instruction is probably good for people who don't have a lot of experience with firearms. 

As for gun laws in general it's crazy that the Democrats are even trying anymore. Gun ownership is up across the board and background checks are shattering records pretty much every month. There are millions of new gun owners who were taught in pretty explicit terms that you can't count on the government to protect you when a virus hits or the riots start, and some of those people were from demographics that vote for Democrats. These new attempts at gun laws will not be tolerated and they will likely fail. And at the same time our state laws are getting looser and looser. 

No comments:

Post a Comment