Saturday, March 20, 2021

Taking the Coronavirus vaccine/why I took the vaccine.

 

An Airman receives a Coronavirus vaccine. US Department of Defense. 

As you may know the Coronavirus vaccines are being administered across the United States. Millions of people have already gotten their vaccine and every day that number grows larger. This Friday I became one of those people to actually get the vaccine. 

Why was I able to get it? I work in the food production industry and am qualified to get it because I am considered a critical worker. I tend to think that was well earned. Though I never caught the virus probably around 500 people who worked with me did end up catching the virus (though as far as I know nobody died). 

As for the vaccine itself I got the Pfizer vaccine. The vaccine does have a major drawback in that I will have to go back for a 2nd dose. I was hoping for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine myself since it only requires one dose, but you don't get to choose the vaccine.

Though a lot of people made a big deal out of side effects I didn't really have any for my first dose. My arm was a bit sore yesterday but by today it was fine. It wasn't any worse than your average flu shot. Perhaps I shouldn't say that because my flu shot this year kicked my ass, but regardless as far as I can tell I had no side effects from the vaccine other then some muscle pain near the shot. 

So why did I take the vaccine? Well there were incentives at work. My company is going to pay me a small bonus for taking the vaccine. Not a huge amount but it's something. Plus I got paid overtime for getting the vaccine outside of work hours. Plus my company said they would cover any Coronavirus related illness if I took the vaccine. 

The other main reason I took the vaccine is simply I don't want to catch the virus. As far as I am aware I still haven't gotten the virus and I would like to avoid getting it. I hate being sick and don't want anything to do with respiratory illness. I'm not afraid of dying or even serious illness from Coronavirus at my age and health, I simply don't want to get the virus. It's the same reasoning I had for taking the flu shot this year, even if the threat is low, even a mild case of the flu is extremely annoying. 

I also did this in hope that it will mean a return to normalcy. I personally am sick and tired of masks, taking temperatures, and all the other forms of security theater that we have had to go through in the past year. If taking the vaccine can help this crap end a little bit sooner then so be it. 

Am I worried about long term effects? Slightly. The vaccine is new and there is always a chance of something bad happening. But it's a very slight concern for me, to the point where I didn't have any second thoughts of having the vaccine. 

At this point I think the pandemic is all but a moot point for me. After I get my 2nd dose I won't care about this anymore. Most of the people I care about who were in danger have already received their 2nd dose of vaccine. In a few months everyone will have access to the vaccine and anyone who gets it at that point won't be my problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment