Sunday, January 12, 2020

Which candidates qualified for Tuesday's Democratic debate?

Five of the six Democratic candidates that will participate in Tuesday's debate. Time/Getty.

As you may know the next Democrat debate will be on Tuesday. It will be broadcast on CNN and will start at 8:00pm to 10:00pm Central. The event is being held in Iowa due to the fact that the Iowa Caucuses will be next month. 

The following candidates have made the debate:
Joe Biden
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Pete Buttgieg
Amy Klobucher
Tom Steyer

Democrats are upset at the fact that all the candidates are white, even though Sanders is Jewish and Warren is a fake Indian. I personally don't care that much but there are a few major candidates that didn't make the cut. Most notably Andrew Yang did not qualify in terms of poling and neither did Tulsi Gabbard. Cory Booker and Deval Patrick didn't qualify either but nobody expected them too. 

The biggest name that isn't debating is Michael Bloomberg. Bloomberg qualifies in the polls but does not have enough donors to enter the debate. Bloomberg isn't taking donations as far as I know so it's a bold strategy for him to ignore the debates. He is basically writing off Iowa and the other early voting states to focus on the Super Tuesday elections. He's certainly spending money on it but I don't think he's making much of an impact. 

With only six candidates the debate should be less chaotic and more directed than the early debates. But I also think they won't be as entertaining. Many of the most interesting, funny or just plain weird candidates either have dropped out of the race or didn't qualify. It's just going to be everyone beating up on Biden and perhaps Bernie Sanders as well, who has had a surge in the polls lately. 

As for me, I do plan on watching and live tweeting the debate, both on Twitter and on Gab. I skipped the last debate because I was on vacation and just wasn't that interested, but I think I will cover this one. Even though I don't expect much in the way of actual debate it is good to see how crazy the Democrats can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment