Friday, June 29, 2018

Bill introduced that would make Puerto Rico a state.

Puerto Rico's non-voting member of congress announces the bill. NBC News.

A bill has been introduced that would make Puerto Rico a state by 2021. NBC News. The bill has been introduced by GOP non-voting member of congress Jennifer Gonzalez-Colan. The bill has bipartisan support with 22 Republicans and 14 Democrats. If the bill passes it would begin the process of debating what would be required before Puerto Rico became a state and would become an incorporated territory in the mean time. The measure is unlikely to pass and it is unclear if the people of Puerto Rico itself want it. Puerto Rico's politics is divided between three factions, the pro-statehood faction, which is in power now, a status-quo faction and a small independence faction. 

My Comment:
I seriously doubt that this will pass anytime soon. Though this bill has bipartisan support I doubt it has much in the way of wider support. And even if it did congress is distracted by midterm elections and all the various scandals. They are not going to get to this anytime soon. I kind of see this as a political stunt not a serious attempt to actually pass legislation. 

And even if they did, I have no idea if that is what Puerto Rico wants this. Polling has been difficult and election results are mixed. I don't think though if it was up to a vote that it is a sure thing that the statehood faction would win. The status quo and independence factions are large as well and I don't know if there are enough people that want statehood. 

I think that there are some obvious benefits for Puerto Rico if they were to join as a state. They would probably get more federal funding and would get more attention when natural disasters hit. Puerto Rico is in desperate need of investment and repair after Hurricane Maria and the economic disasters that have struck the island. 

But I wonder what America itself gains from admitting Puerto Rico. Like I said, it is going to cost billions of dollars to bring Puerto Rico up to the standards of our worst states now. We would get a bit more tax income from Puerto Rico paying income tax but I doubt it would pay more than the obvious costs.

And we can't forget that Puerto Rico is a complete financial mess. There was serious talk about the territory going bankrupt and that was before the hurricane hit. They are not in good shape financially and would be a burden if they joined. 

Politically I don't really understand why Republicans are supporting this idea. If Puerto Rico were to become a state it would mean two more senators would be in play with a congress member or two. I don't see those people being Republicans, but I could be wrong. I had no idea that our non-voting member was part of the GOP so perhaps things have changed. 

From what I understand Puerto Rico really doesn't go into the Republican/Democrat split. Their local parties are based on the idea of statehood or independence. Once they are a state, I have no idea how things would shake out. 

Still, this discussion is mostly hypothetical. I sincerely doubt that we will ever see Puerto Rico as a state. Indeed, I think independence is just as likely but the most likely outcome is the status quo. It is interesting to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment