Sunday, June 24, 2018

My take on Sarah Huckabee Sanders being kicked out of a restaurant.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders Twitter profile picture. 

As you are probably aware a Virginia restaurant refused service to Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders for no reason other than the fact she works for President Trump. This has understandably caused a huge backlash and caused a political controversy. I have a few thoughts but if you want a review here's a link to CBS News.  

First of all, it's pretty clear that this caused a huge backlash for this Red Hen restaurant. People from all over the country are furious with this descion and they are attacking the restaurant. I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand it's pretty clear that this was a poor descion to say the least. For a small restaurant to piss off half the country is a major accomplishment and there was of course always going to be a backlash. People have a 1st amendment right to voice their displeasure about the Red Hen restaurant and it's ownership. I'm not happy with these people either and if I lived anywhere near this place I wouldn't be going there. 

On the other, I'm worried that the response will cross a line and will swing the sympathy back to the ownership of the restaurant. Already the far left is rallying to them despite their despicable actions. Any further harassment or worse will turn this person into a martyr. I think it's ok to not go to this place if you are upset and even to express that on social media and review sites. But I'm not comfortable with going further than that. 

Of course what is inexcusable is the fact that people are attacking the wrong restaurant. There is another restaurant with the same name in Washington DC. They are completely innocent and since they are in DC they are prohibited from doing what the other restaurant did. They do not deserve any harassment or attacks. 


 Did the owner have a right to do what they did? I think so. I know you can't refuse service based on gender, religion or race but I don't think that extends to politics. A lot of people are acting like people either have an absolute right to serve people or an absolute to refuse service to anyone they want but I don't think either reaction is correct. My thought is that the owner isn't going to get into any legal trouble for this. I know some states and districts ban political discrimination but as far as I know Virginia isn't one of them.

As an aside, I would argue that businesses should be able to discriminate based on any category they choose. There is the fear that people would be prevented from getting critical services but with today's social media world that wouldn't be as much as a problem. If someone were to discriminate the market would correct it with the kind of backlash that the Red Hen is getting right now. This incident is proof that the system would work. Unfortunately that is not the world we live in, so my take is either we should get rid of current protections (which is politically impossible) or extend those to politics with one major exception. 

Some people are calling hypocrisy and comparing this to the gay wedding cake issue. There is a major difference though. In those cases the customers weren't denied service as the sellers would have sold them a pre-made cake. Instead they wanted a custom cake which is essentially forcing someone to make art they disagree with. That standard doesn't exist here because there was no artistic speech going on here, simply serving the Press Secretary is not a 1st amendment issue.

This would be the exception I mentioned above. I think there is a huge difference between refusing service for someone who just happens to show up and refusing to agree to something you disagree with politically. I have a problem with the Red Hen refusing service to Sanders but I wouldn't be upset if they refused to do a custom event for her that involved speech in some way. The gay wedding cake would be an example but I could see something like hiring a band with leftist politics and forcing them to praise Trump working as well. 

I do have to say that I am disturbed about the reaction the left is having to Donald Trump. They have bought into the "Trump is a Nazi" meme far to hard for their own good. It's going to hurt them in November but in the short term I fear that simply boycotting conservatives won't be the end of it. We are pretty close to people actually committing violence against our elected officials. We saw this last year with the attack on the congressional baseball game practice and I would not be surprised if it happens again. The media and the Democratic Party is doing their best to imply that everyone who votes or supported Donald Trump are evil and some people want to pay evil unto evil... 

No comments:

Post a Comment