Tuesday, March 12, 2024

RFK Jr is considering Aaron Rodgers and Jesse Ventura as running mates.

 

Aaron Rodgers (right) and Jesse Ventura. NBC News/Getty.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr is said to be considering New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers and former Minnesota Governor, actor and wrestler Jesse Ventura as possible vice presidential candidates. NBC News. Both men were mentioned by his campaign along with other unknown candidates on a "short list". Neither men commented on the story when asked. Ventura was a former Reform Party governor but was only for one term. Rodgers was the Quarterback for the Green Bay Packers and won a Super Bowl before being traded to the New York Jets where he sat out most of the 2023 season due to injuries. Rodgers and RFK Jr bonded over opposition to vaccine mandates and he has endorsed RFK Jr. for president. 

My Comment:

These are... odd choices for Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to pick. Jesse Ventura isn't a household name anymore. He hasn't really been in the news since he was Governor and no longer really seems to act. People in Minnesota remember him, and anyone that liked Wrestling in the 80's or the movie Predator, but other than that is he really that relevant? I think RFK Jr. is more famous them him. 

Ventura and RFK Jr. do have similar beliefs though. Ventura was a centrist with the reform party and I think he is skeptical of vaccines like RFK Jr. is. I would think that they are on similar wavelengths. Further more, he has political experience and has his term as governor as an argument to vote for him. 

But my problem is that he just isn't relevant anymore. This is the first time I have thought of Ventura in years. He's just not a known figure in politics anymore. Indeed, he barely counts as a celebrity. I really don't think that anyone who wouldn't already be on board with RFK Jr. is going to be convinced because a one term governor that used to be a wrestler and actor is on the ticket. I don't think he's going to hurt RFK Jr. either, but regardless, it's an odd pick. 

Speaking of odd picks, the Aaron Rodgers one is a lot stranger. Rodgers is known for only a couple of things. First of all, he's a great QB, one that had great success in Green Bay. Second, he's kind of a prima donna that got into trouble with the powers that be over his stance on vaccines. Given that RFK Jr. is mostly known for vaccine skepticism, it's not totally out of left field, but it's an odd choice. 

Indeed, other than him being a vaccine skeptic and being upset with the Democratic Party due to their criticism of that fact, I have no idea what Rodgers political beliefs even are. My guess would be some kind of centrist but if you asked me what he thinks on the economy, foreign policy or gun rights, I would have no idea. 

He also doesn't have any political experience whatsoever. I guess being a QB shows that he could be a decent leader, but that's about it. But he doesn't have any experience with politics and I can see him getting into trouble very quickly. To be fair, just because he has no experience means that he will be bad as a Vice President, but it is an argument against him. 

It also brings up the question of practicality. How is Aaron Rodgers going to run for Vice President if he is an active quarterback for the New York Jets? Though there are questions about Rodgers and his injury, as far as I am aware he will be the starter for the Jets in 2024. I don't see how he could possibly campaign for RFK Jr while being a QB, which means that he would probably either have to retire or refuse to run. 

Does Rodgers bring anything to the campaign at all? I think so. He's a well-spoken man and it's unquestionable that he would get a few votes in Wisconsin and perhaps New York if he ever actually plays for them. But he's also controversial and a lot of people hate him for football and non-football reasons. I don't see him as a serious candidate and if RFK Jr. does pick him I would be surprised. 

Indeed, I would be surprised if either of these men ended up as RFK Jr's pick. The only reason I take it seriously at all is because the campaign mentioned it. But they also mentioned that there were other people under consideration and I think that it's more likely that a third person will be picked over Aaron Rodgers and Jesse Ventura. 

No comments:

Post a Comment