Wednesday, March 9, 2022

No CNN, I am not OK with higher gas prices to hold Russia "Accountable".

 

This is going to be a short post but I couldn't disagree more strongly. Given, it's CNN, but this is a bad take even for them. I personally am already looking at my budget to see what I can cut if prices get any worse than they already are and not seeing too much I can cut. I filled up my gas tank last night and I spent almost $50, with the caveat that my tank was still 1/4 full. And I know that I am in better position than most since I have been saving for a house and have a decent savings account built up. 

And I have zero interest in bankrupting the Russian people. I'm not happy with Putin's actions and think he made a mistake in invading Ukraine, but that doesn't mean that everyone of Russian descent should suffer. Fuel sanctions won't do a damn thing to Putin but it will damage innocent civilians both here and in Russia. 

I have yet to see much in the way of polling when it comes to this issue. I think I saw that people did support not buying fuel from Russia, but the problem with asking that question is that like most polling regarding the war in Ukraine they leave out the possible consequences for the action. Just like people might support a no-fly zone if they don't know that it could lead to nuclear war, people might support not buying Russian fuel if it probably means $5 a gallon gas, increasing inflation and leading into a 2nd great depression. 


No comments:

Post a Comment