Monday, March 14, 2022

If America was invaded would you fight or flee?

 

My AR 556. Own photo.

A new poll suggests that 55% of Americans would stay and fight if invaded by a foreign power while 38% said they would flee the country. Fox News. Republicans were more likely to say they would fight (68%) while only fewer Democrats said they would fight (40%). Democrats were more likely to say that they would become refugees (52%) while only 25% of Republicans said they would flee the country. 

My Comment:

I'm fairly surprised that the numbers are this low. America is a well armed country that likes war. You would think that more people would want to stay and fight, just for the sake of honor. It doesn't surprise me that more Republicans would fight than Democrats but still, it's strange that 38% of the country would flee. 

On the other hand, I think that blind patriotism is on the decline, especially on the right. I don't know about other people but I sure would be reluctant to fight and die to protect Joe Biden, of all people. Indeed, if a foreign power invaded there's a decent chance I would pick up my rifle and join them just to see Biden overthrown. It's very clear that the ruling class of this country thinks of me as less than human at best, why would I fight for them? 

But on the other hand, it would depend on the circumstances of the invasion. If there was a second civil war and foreign troops were helping my side of the war, there would be no chance of me fighting them. If they were on the other side, I'd fight them for sure. If it was an war of choice invasion like what is happening in Ukraine? Then I would probably fight. It would also depend on who was doing the invading and how they were behaving. I can't see any circumstance where China invaded and I wasn't fighting against them for no other reason than they are Communist. 

I don't think that I would ever want to flee the country though. I don't think that at my age and skill level I would be an effective combatant but being a refugee does not appeal to me at all. Fleeing the country seems like a cowardly move. Plus, I don't think I would want to live anywhere besides America given how leftwing almost all other governments are. As bad as things are getting here, I would still rather live in a dangerous and violent America than live in Canada or Europe. 

Still, the argument is mostly hypothetical as the United States is extremely unlikely to be invaded anytime soon. America is protected by oceans and the fact that the only two countries to directly border it are pretty weak and strongly allied to us. Mexico and Canada are not much of a threat to us. Plus any seaborn invasion would have to deal with our US Navy, which is more than powerful enough to destroy any invasion. 

I also think that people don't really understand what fighting in an actual war as an insurgent would be like. Even America's veterans don't really know what it is like to fight against a modern military force. The foreign legion in Ukraine is a good advantage of this, those folks found out real quick that there is a huge difference between fighting insurgents in the desert and going up against a modern military. My guess is that any fight against an invading power would result in horrendous casualties among civilian defenders. 

Still, as the Taliban proved, a large untrained force can outlast a determined modern military. They took terrible casualties but it does show that there is a possibility of fighting off an invasion. And I think any invasion would have huge problems given the huge number of weapons in the United States. It's another reason why an invasion is extremely unlikely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment