Thursday, July 30, 2020

Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers issues a new mask mandate...

Governor Tony Evers. Campaign photo.

Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers has issued a new mask mandate. Chicago Tribune. The mandate is for everyone over the age of five and includes all enclosed spaces outside of the home and outdoor bars and restaurants. Anyone who violates the order would be subject to a $200 fine and is set to run until September 28th. Evers will likely face a legal challenge and he may very well lose. Wisconsin's conservative controlled court overthrew Ever's Coronavirus lockdown and may do so again for the mask mandate. 52,000 people have contracted the virus in Wisconsin.

My Comment:
I'm of two minds on this one. As a Wisconsin resident the order is pretty much redundant. My local government has already pushed a mask mandate through so this new order doesn't change much. There really isn't much that is changing for me at least. Besides, the only places I have been going lately is work and the grocery store, which mandate masks regardless.

On the other hand, I don't like Tony Evers just unilaterally deciding that we are going to have to wear masks. The local mandates at least went through the process, with the public being able to weigh in and at least try to convince their elected officials one way or the other.  That's a huge difference between Evers just deciding to do it. 

And I don't think that things are really that bad here except in Milwaukee, which has had a problem with the virus for a long time. We are still getting cases in Northeast Wisconsin but not that many and it hasn't been serious here since April. I don't really think a mask mandate is necessary for here, let alone the more rural parts of the state that have hardly been affected by the virus. 

It's also important to note that though we have had 52,000 cases less than 10,000 of those cases are active. Most of those active cases are located in the urban areas, and that probably is what angers me about this the most. There is absolutely no reason why we should treat urban areas and mid size cities, who actually have a virus problem, the same way we treat rural areas, which don't have one.

There is also the question if masks are even worth it. Though I do think they have some effect on reducing new cases, I don't think they are a silver bullet. I also think it's just stupid to require them for outdoor events. Unless you are outside yelling and screaming (like rioters) you probably won't be spreading the virus. 

I also have to say that even if masks are worth it, I think it's worth trying to reign in Governor Evers. It's clear that the main difference between our situation and Michigan is that the rest of our government is controlled by the Republicans. If we give Evers and inch he will take a mile and then some. 

As for people complying with this order, I have no idea. The last few times I went to the store everyone was masked up already but I think it's very possible that people will now refuse to wear masks. I'm going to continue to wear mine in situations where it makes sense, but I feel bad for all the people that are going to have to try and enforce this ban. A lot of people are not going to go along with it and that probably includes a lot of local cops who have better things to do than be the mask police. 

Regardless, I think I am at a very low risk of catching the disease anyways. I don't get out that much these days outside of work and even there I am pretty sure we reached herd immunity back during our outbreak in April. At least 45% of our workers got sick and I am sure that number is increased by people that were asymptomatic. 

I do have to say that I am getting tired of security theater. I personally think it's long past due to go back to normalcy. Sure, we should keep vulnerable people protected but it's also clear that this virus mostly targets the old, sick and/or unlucky. Shutting down the state was a mistake and this mask mandate is probably one as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment