Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Voting report.


Just a quick note. Today is Wisconsin's spring election. It's mostly local elections but there is also a fairly important Supreme Court election as well. It's non-partisan but the two candidates are supported by different parties. Brian Hagedorn is the conservative candidate supported by the Republicans and Lisa Neubauer is the liberal one supported by the Democrats.

I, of course, voted for Hagedorn, largely because of gun rights. The election is a chance to flip a Supreme Court seat held by retiring 85 year old justice Shirley Abrahamson. Right now the balance is 4-3 for conservatives and if Hagedorn wins it will flip to a 5-2 advantage. If Neubauer wins it's status quo ante but would give Democrats a chance to flip the court in 2020. I do NOT want that to happen.

As for voting itself, I was #21 at the poling place. It was fairly empty at 7:30 AM with only two other people voting, both men slightly older than me. It's always a huge difference between these of cycle elections and the Presidential races, I don't think I have ever had that low of a number before. I was in and out in just a couple of minutes. It took me way longer last year during the congressional race and in the 2016 election.

I also have to say that there has been very little in the way of coverage for this election. I did get some pamphlets that were quickly thrown out, otherwise I wouldn't have known. I guess that means they were effective but I have to say the GOP one pissed me off to the point where I almost didn't vote. It said something to the effect that "we know you voted last year and if you don't this year your friends and family would judge you". It would have totally turned me off if it wasn't for the fact that I'm totally committed to the GOP due to the Democrats being super villain evil when it comes to gun rights. Otherwise I had heard almost nothing about it before doing my own research on who I should vote for last weekend.

Either way, I always say it's my civic duty to vote. Even when my vote doesn't matter it at least lets me feel like I am invested in the country. I'd also feel like a giant hypocrite if I didn't considering how much I talk about politics on this blog. Skipping this election wasn't in the cards for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment