Tuesday, April 16, 2019

My Senator has responded to an e-mail I wrote her concerning the background check bill in congress.

As you may know, Congress passed an expanded background check bill that would essentially be a ban on private sales of firearms. I am, of course, opposed to any ban on private sales as it won't do a thing to stop gun crimes and is an unconstitutional. The bill passed the house but currently languishes in the Senate, unlikely to come up to a vote as the GOP controls the Senate and is generally opposed to gun control bills. That being said, I wasn't willing to risk it being passed without contacting my elected officials.

In response to HR8 and HR-1112, a bill that would force a major delay on background checks, I contacted both of my senators to express my opposition to the bills. I sent an identical e-mail to both Senator Tammy Baldwin and Ron Johnson. As usual, despite my political disagreements with her, Baldwin (or her staff) has gotten back to me while Johnson has not.

I will post my original e-mail to both senators and then I will post Baldwin's response letter. If Johnson ever gets back to me I will post his letter here on this blog as well. As usual, the only thing I will edit out is my name. My only comment is that though Baldwin tried very hard to act like a 2nd amendment supporter, she does in fact support a ban on private sales of firearms.

My e-mail to Senators Baldwin and Johnson:

"The house has passed a gun control bill, HR-8 which would ban private sales. They are also considering HR-1112, a bill that would force delays on background checks. I oppose both of these bills as they infringe on the 2nd amendment, would do nothing to actually protect people and seem like a 1st step to gun registration and gun confiscation. I ask you to oppose both of these bills if they come up to a vote. Thank you for your time."

Baldwin's response:


No comments:

Post a Comment