Saturday, February 9, 2019

So apparently Italy memed "God Emperor Trump" into reality...

Screenshot via The Gateway Pundit.

Sometimes the internet leaks into the real world in a very strange way. As you may know a popular meme from the 2016 election was "God Emperor Trump" where people would create artwork and photoshop of President Trump as the God Emperor of Mankind from the Warhammer 40k tabletop game universe. The God Emperor is the paragon of humanity and the closest thing to a big good in the famously dark Warhammer universe. It's only natural that fans would combine that with President Trump. It was a popular meme but one that faded into the background as time went on. 

That changed today thanks to Italy, of all places. According to the Gateway Pundit (I know, but it was the best source I could find), Italy has their version of Carnival, the Viareggio Carnival. Much like other countries that have the tradition, it has dancers, floats and parades. 

However, Italy decided to pull out all the stops and made an absolutely giant God Emperor Trump float. It's at least a couple of stories high and is pretty amazing with how detailed it is. Even if you hate President Trump (or Warhammer 40k for that matter) you have to respect the craftsmanship here. The whole thing actually MOVES, which is just insane. And the whole thing is pretty accurate to Warhammer 40k, which I thought was relatively obscure outside of the tabletop and video games fandoms (the first two Dawn of War games are amazing by the way, and are what introduced me to Warhammer).

I don't know if there is some kind of political or social commentary going on here. I don't speak or read Italian so I can't really comment on what their local media is saying about this. I know they have a right wing President right now, but who knows what the message is here? 

The whole procession was led by another Trump dressed up as an Ultramarine and dozens of Warhammer 40k dancers, including Space Marines and Adepta Sororitas (Sisters of Battle) and American flags, which is a sentence I never thought I would right. It's completely insane and if I hadn't seen the video of it I would assume it was just some kind of elaborate 4chan prank. But apparently it is real. See the video and tweets below to see this thing in action...




No comments:

Post a Comment