Friday, October 26, 2018

One of my senators replied to my message about the Kavanaugh confirmation.

Senator Tammy Baldwin (D) Wisconsin. Senate photo.

Last month I wrote to both of my US senators regarding the Kavanaugh confirmation. I had not heard back from them until now. Senator Tammy Baldwin replied to my e-mail today and I will post it in full below. 

Before that though, a few words about my reaction to it. It's obviously a form letter but I wasn't expecting anything else from a busy US senator. I am happy that I got any response at all from either of my senators, even if it wasn't one I plan on voting for this November. As for content, though I disagree with her reasoning I do appreciate that she said we need to do a better job in protecting due process rights And say what you will about Tammy Baldwin, but she did get back to me a lot sooner, if at all, then Senator Ron Johnson. If Johnson sends me a letter as well I will post it too with a link to this post so you can compare and contrast. 

Here is the letter posted in full with the only redaction being my name at the header: 

Dear Mr. [Redacted]:

Thank you for contacting me about the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to fill the Supreme Court vacancy created by the retirement of Justice Anthony Kennedy. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

It is the unique constitutional design for the United States Senate to advise and consent on nominations that the President offers. I take this responsibility very seriously.   The Supreme Court’s rulings have a profound impact on the daily lives of Wisconsin families, and t he people of Wisconsin need a fair, non-partisan and independent Supreme Court Justice.    Based on everything we learned during Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination process, I do not have confidence that Judge Kavanaugh will be that justice, and I voted against his confirmation when it came before the Senate on October 6, 2018.

The stakes are too high for the American people, who do not want the Supreme Court to advance a political agenda or undermine the constitutional rights and freedoms of all Americans.   At a time when so many in Washington are working to overturn the law of the land that helps provide affordable health care for 133 million Americans with pre-existing conditions—including more than 2 million Wisconsinites—I did not believe we could afford a nominee who could serve as the deciding vote to take us back to the days when powerful insurance companies wrote the rules. Additionally, the President vowed to appoint judges to the Supreme Court who would overturn Roe v. Wade, and I could not support a nominee for a lifetime appointment who would turn back the clock on a woman’s constitutional right and freedom to make her own health care choices, including access to birth control.

Many have expressed disappointment with the level of political discourse at Judge Kavanaugh’s hearings and throughout the nomination process. Others have shared concerns about a lack of due process for Judge Kavanaugh with regard to the allegations raised by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and others.   While I am not a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and therefore did not participate in the hearings, I agree that we must do better, and Members of Congress have a great responsibility to treat people with respect—the constituents we serve, our colleagues in Congress, and those with whom we may disagree.   Furthermore, like you, I believe   that every individual who faces criminal charges, including of sexual assault, must be afforded due process of law, as guaranteed by our Constitution.   However, the Senate’s role with regard to Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination was not to determine his guilt or innocence, but to assess his fitness to serve in the extraordinarily privileged position of a lifetime seat on our nation’s highest court.    

Please be assured that I will continue to carefully review all judicial nominees and will be evaluating whether they support the ideal that all Americans should have an opportunity to achieve their hopes and dreams. That is the promise of America, and I will fight to make sure we keep it.

Once again, thank you for contacting my office.  It is important for me to hear from the people of Wisconsin on the issues, thoughts and concerns that matter most to you.  If I can be of further assistance, please visit my website at www.baldwin.senate.gov for information on how to contact my office.

  Sincerely,

Tammy Baldwin
United States Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment