Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Canada becomes the first western country to fully legalize marijuana

The first Canadians to buy legal pots. BBC/Reuters. 

Canada has become the first western country to fully legalize marijuana. BBC. Canada was the second country to legalize pot for recreational use after Uruguay. There are many questions about how the pot rollout will work out as Canada does not have the infrastructure to meet the probable demand for legal pot.  Pot will still be illegal for minors and people will not be able to buy from unlicensed dealers or carry more than 30 grams in public. 

My Comment:
As time passes marijuana has become more and more acceptable throughout the world. Canada an Uruguay have legalized it as well as many states. And medical marijuana is legal in many other American states. There is a definite trend happening here and it is to legalization and decriminalization.

What do I think? I'm not a fan of pot and I have never tried it. I would never smoke ANYTHING as I have bad allergies and even being in the same room as someone smoking cigarettes or pot is enough to make me feel like garbage. If it was totally legal I might eat a pot brownie but I would have to be sure that there weren't any legal or professional consequences for doing so. Even in states where pot is legal you can still get fired if you fail a drug test. In all honestly, pot doesn't appeal to me even if it was legal 

That being said, do I think pot should remain illegal? I think there are upsides and downsides to it. People already do it illegally and making it legal would probably make it safer and would push less people into the legal system. The downsides would be high drivers and the fact that pot smoke is annoying. Plus there are health issues to smoking in general that could increase. 

The good thing is that Canada is doing the experiment for us. If there are unforeseen consequences we haven't anticipated Canada will find it out for us. If there isn't we can legalize it ourselves. Canada is basically America Jr. so I doubt there would be much difference in our rollout compared to them. 

So will it happen here? I think so. And it might come sooner than we think. President Trump is a supporter of medical marijuana and generally thinks that states should handle their own affairs. What Trump could do is decriminalize marijuana federally or change the schedule of the drug. And if congress passes the law, he will probably sign it. If he does that would probably guarantee him a 2020 victory as it would put a lot of people that enjoy pot on his side. Time will tell what will happen but even if Trump and this congress doesn't pass legal pot, I think it's only a matter of time before it happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment