Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Why haven't I been covering Hurricane Harvey and the Houston disaster?

As you are almost certainly aware Texas has been hit by Hurricane Harvey which has dropped biblical amounts of rain on Houston and other parts of the state. But I haven't been blogging about it. Why?

1. I just don't know too much about weather. It's not an area of expertise for me at all. I did take a weather and climate course in college but I remember almost nothing from it. It was my last semester and I needed one more science credit so I didn't take the class very seriously, even though I got an A in it. Despite that, I just don't think I have much insight that people couldn't get elsewhere.

2. I was pretty busy when the storm hit and I was lucky to actually get any posts out at all. And I felt that those posts were issues that were going to not be covered because of the storm.

3. So far the storm seems to be handled pretty well. There was criticism of the Mayor of Houston not ordering an evacuation, but other than that, the government response has been fairly good. This isn't a Katrina situation even though the damage is comparable, the deaths won't be. We can all be thankful for that.

4. Most of the side issues in the storm haven't been interesting to me. I require media sources to blog most of the time and the media has been dropping the ball this storm. Though some people might care about Joel Osteen being a loser or the fact that Melania Trump wore high heals before changing into sneakers, but I do not. Covering how horrible the media coverage might have been interesting but I am starting to think that well is dry. Everyone knows that CNN is the devil, no need to make the same point yet again.

5. I did cover the storm outside of this blog. I posted quite a few tweets about the storm over the past few days. As always, you can read and follow my twitter account. 

Unless something changes I probably won't be covering Hurricane Harvey anymore than this post. I doubt that I have anything more to say on the issue and don't have any special insight that hasn't been covered by other people. Still, I think it's important to point out why I seemed to be ignoring the biggest story in the country right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment