Saturday, September 10, 2022

Editor's Note: Vacation and fishing report.

 I will be on vacation next week. As usual when I am on vacation, posting may be infrequent or at unusual times. How much I post depends on how busy I get but I do have some plans so there may be a couple of days where I don't get a post up. 

What am I planning on doing? Well, fishing for one. I have gone twice now already, once on Friday and again today. It's been weird, I have been getting dramatically more quantity over quality. I did catch my first pike in a very long time, I had one on last year but I didn't land it. I usually don't fish for them and it was pretty crazy catching on a small spinnerbait. It was a pretty small one but it was nice to catch.


That was yesterday. Today I probably caught around 40 fish, but the vast majority of them were round gobies. Those stupid little bait stealers are easy to catch but are mostly an annoyance. What is worse, you can't use them for bait, as they would be a good catfish bait. They are an invasive species and I guess the DNR doesn't want people to use them under any circumstances. 

Speaking of gobies, I actually caught one of the species that they threaten, the common logperch. They kind of fill the same role as gobies being small bottom dwelling fish, so they aren't as common in Lake Michigan waters (which my home river is connected to). Though they aren't anywhere near as impressive as the last new species I caught, the flathead catfish, I will count the logperch as a new species on my life list. That makes two for this year and six for the past two years.





No comments:

Post a Comment