Thursday, September 9, 2021

Biden administration pulls David Chipman nomination to head of ATF.

 

David Chipman. Fox News/Getty.

The Biden administration has pulled the nomination of David Chipman to the head of the ATF. Fox News. Chipman had a long history of disparaging gun owners and had worked with two separate gun control groups. He also had a history of mistreating his fellow employees back when he worked for the ATF. Republicans were furious with the nomination but many less radical Democrats were privately opposed to him as well. It is unclear if a replacement will be found as the ATF has been without a head for years now. 

My Comment:

This is, of course, a reason to celebrate for anyone who has even the slightest desire to own a firearm. Chipman was an extreme radical that supported gun confiscation, bans on so-called "assault weapons" and even lied about the Branch Davidians shooting down helicopters with .50 BMG rounds. He was a massive opponent to gun rights and it is good that he failed. 

The Fox News article downplayed what I think the real reason Chipman was pulled. He's been accused of racism. He had said at one point that the only reason a large number of black people had been promoted at the ATF is because they cheated to get where they were. If true it's a shame that is what torpedoed his chances because being racist is about the least offensive thing about Chipman. He's a terrible person. 

I also wonder if the gun rights community had an effect on this nomination. I know that I personally sent out e-mails to both of my senators, and I doubt I was the only one. My Republican senator ignored me but my Democratic one did send me something back so at least I know she had received the note. I am guessing that all 100 senators had their mailboxes flooded due to the opposition to Chipman. 

As for the ATF, I don't think Biden will be able to ever confirm someone for the ATF unless the Democrats somehow manage to sweep the 2022 midterms. The more conservative "blue dog" Democratic Senators like Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema won't support a hugely anti-gun candidate but the Biden White House won't nominate a pro-gun ATF head. That means the position will remain unfilled. 

And for Chipman himself? I am sure that he will portray himself as a victim, as the deranged anti-gun people are already doing. I am guessing he has a sweet job lined up with one of these gun control groups and will be able to retire a wealthy man. In a just world he would be spending the rest of his life in a small and dirty prison cell but this is not a just world... 

No comments:

Post a Comment