Sunday, July 5, 2015

ISIS used children to execute 25 captured soldiers in the Roman ruins in Palmyra. CNN.

A photo released by ISIS showing teenage boys about to execute 25 prisoners. CNN. 

ISIS has released a video where 25 prisoners were executed by 25 teenage boys in the Roman amphitheater at Palmyra, Syria. CNN. The video appears to have been recorded on May 27th, shortly after the ruins of Palmyra and the modern city of Tadmur were captured by ISIS. The video shows soldiers being captured and the bodies of their fallen comrades. The soldiers appear to have injuries consistent with beatings. The men are then lead from prison cells to the amphitheater where 25 boys with pistols and a large crowd await. The video, which uses several editing tricks and effects, shows the executions. The video continues with the destruction of the infamous Tadmur prison, which used to house political prisoners for the Syrian regime. This was not the only atrocity committed in Palmyra and Tadmur. Several other executions, including one incident were 11 children were killed, have taken place and much damage has been done to the historical buildings and sites in the city. 

My Comment:
I made the mistake of watching this entire video. I can't say I recommend it for even the most jaded individuals like myself. A few things struck me right away. First, the children that were executing the Syrian prisoners hardly looked old enough to be teenagers. All adult men in ISIS controlled territories are required to wear beards. Barely any of the children in these videos could grow even a mustache. 

There is something incredibly evil about using children to execute people. It's bad enough to kill prisoners that have surrendered. That alone is a war crime. But using kids to do the deed? That's the kind of evil that I have a hard time believing is real. ISIS is all to real though, and they seem to have no limits to what they won't do. 

They also did it in front of a crowd. There were a lot of old men and young children in that theater that were forced to watch this execution. You could tell there were a few ISIS plants in the audience, waving flags and keeping an eye on things, but most of the people there seemed at least concerned about what was going on, and you could tell at least a few were disgusted by the whole thing. They are victims as well.

The second thing I noticed, and it's something I notice every time I watch something from ISIS, is how high the production values are. It was shot in HD and they used several special effects shots. It isn't an exaggeration to say that it's on par for a Hollywood movie in terms of quality. There are people in ISIS that know about film and how to create a compelling image. When you watch a ISIS video it's like watching something from Leni Reifenstahl. I know I am watching propaganda of a particularly disgusting sort, but as a student of film I can't help but to be impressed. It's professionally choreographed, set in an eye grabbing ruin and uses special effects to glorify the carnage. 

That's a major reason why ISIS is so prolific. They are experts at getting their message across. And they are experts at spreading that message via social media. They have an excellent PR department and they are going to get recruits from this video. And anyone who watches it has to think, "what happens if ISIS comes here and does the same thing to me?" 

I've often struggled with the morality of watching such videos. Part of me thinks that doing so both diminishes me for having seen it and trivializes the deaths that are depicted. I worry that I could someday become numb to seeing these kinds of images and that's not an outcome I want. So far that hasn't happened, because ISIS has gone to great lengths to increase the amount of brutality in these videos. It still feels wrong to have seen these things. Wrong on a physical, spiritual and psychological level.

But I also think it is important to bare witness to crime. I've always wanted to know the truth, even if the truth is unthinkable. And right now that truth is that there is an organization out there that will use children as executioners. Perhaps someday after ISIS is noting but a bad memory there will be a denial movement that will deny or downplay the atrocities the group has committed. If that day ever comes I will have proof that they are full of it. I saw it for myself. You can't fake something like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment