Sunday, April 14, 2024

Fishing: New species!

 


Something a little different today, I went fishing and I caught something new. I believe the above fish is a quillback, also known as a quillback carpsucker. I am not 100% sure that it isn't something else, but given the high fin and deeply forked tail, I am pretty sure. 

I caught it semi-legit. Carpsuckers are bottom feeding fish and I caught this one on a bladebait. I am guessing I snagged it but my hook was in its lip. I probably just ran into it with my lure as I doubt it was trying to eat the large bladebait I was using. Still, since it was hooked in the lip, it was a fair catch so I am counting it, unlike the lake whitefish I caught this spring which I snagged in the back. 

I was fishing with my Dad and he may have caught a new species as well. He caught a 19 inch fish that may have been a sauger but I am thinking was a hybrid between a sauger and a walleye, a saugeye. Why? It had the blotches and spots on the fin but it was also a lighter color and had the white patch on the tail fin. I don't have a picture of that one but my dad ended up keeping it. The place we went fishing has an open season for all three species year round so it was ok to keep it, which was for the best since it swallowed the hook. 

We also caught a couple of decent smallmouth bass, both on minnows. Mine was pretty small, around 12 or 13 inches, while my Dad's was probably 14 or 15. We couldn't keep those though as they are out of season, and I'm not sure if we would keep bass anyways. 

Regardless, it was nice to go out fishing on a very nice spring day. It was warm out and we saw lots of wildlife besides the fish, including cranes and an osprey. I am hoping to go fishing more this year than I did last year, I did not have much luck when I did go. But the constant overtime I was working since last May has finally trailed off so I should be able to go fishing more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment