Thursday, June 4, 2020

39 people, including 37 children, injured in a mass stabbing in China.

The school where the attack occurred. NBC News/AFP.

At least 39 people were injured in a mass stabbing in a school in southern China, including 37 students and two teachers. NBC News. All 39 people are being treated at a local hospital and are expected to survive. The two teachers were more severely wounded than the children. The attacker has not been named and no motive has been released but the attacker was put under control by local authorities. China has a long history of mass stabbings including many targeting children. 

My Comment:
I've always found China's problem with mass stabbing to be fairly disturbing. For me the idea of being caught in a mass stabbing is a lot scarier than a mass shooting, even though I think my chances would be a lot better of survival or stopping the attacker. There's just something so disturbing about a guy willing to cut you over a guy that just wants you to shoot you. Seems like a different level of anger. 

This attack was of course horrible but it seems like everyone will survive it. With so many people injured I am guessing the attackers goal was to stab or slash as many people as possible, not kill as many people as he could (I'm assuming the attacker was male, though that wasn't stated in the source). It's harder to kill someone with a knife but it's fairly easy to slash someone and move on. 

I do have to wonder what took the Chinese cops so long to get the attacker under control. I guess I don't know if China has officers in their schools, but since this was an elementary school, they probably wouldn't. But you would think that there would have been an officer near by that could have handled it. Then again, I guess I don't know how long it takes to stab 39 people, maybe it's less time than I am thinking? 

I won't speculate too much on motive and I doubt we will find out anyways. Even if China does release one I doubt the American media will still be focused on this story by that time. My guess is that we won't find out anytime soon, if ever. 

But I do wonder if this wasn't a reaction to the Coronavirus and the related economic problems in China. I am thinking that a good reason why our current situation is so bad here in the United States is due to those factors and I bet similar things are going on in China. It may have caused this guy to have cracked.

This should of course concern China, as we have seen that these kind of attacks can spawn copy-cat attackers. I'm not sure if Chinese media is as obsessed with school stabbings as American media is with school shootings, but even if they are, perhaps China's censorship could be put to good use for once and attempt to stop the memetic spread of attacks like this? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if China has another attack like this sooner or later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment