Tuesday, March 12, 2019

President Trump would support making daylight savings time year round.

President Donald Trump. The Hill/Getty.

President Donald Trump says he would support making daylight savings time year round. The Hill. GOP senators introduced the Sunshine Protection Act which would make daylight savings time standard. It was introduced by Senators Marco Rubio and Rick Scott along with Congressman Vern Buchanan. Trump would support such legislation and it may have bipartisan support. Federal lawmakers have changed when daylight savings time comes into effect. 


My Comment:
I don't care what the President or the current congress does if they pass this. If it happens it would be the greatest thing to happen in this country in a very long time and I fully support any legislation that would get rid of the change between daylight savings time and standard.

I personally despise daylight savings time, mostly because of the switch between the two times. In every case it causes a massive disruption in my sleep and makes me feel like garbage for up to a week or even longer.

Indeed, in the past few days since the changeover I have been barely coherent to the point where even my coworkers were commenting on it. Losing an hour of sleep and then having to adjust my sleep schedule back has created a pretty huge sleep debt for me and I am just now starting to feel even slightly normal. I think it has effected both my work performance and the writing on this blog.

With that being said, will it pass into law? I don't know. Daylight savings time is pretty unpopular but there aren't exactly lobby groups to get it repealed. I personally wish there was but it seems unlikely that many would join me. People hate daylight savings time but not enough to actually do something about it.

I also don't know if there is bipartisan support for ending it. Though I bet as many Democrats as Republicans hate daylight savings time, I also bet that there is no desire to give President Trump any win at all. I am guessing if Trump could get credit for ending the switchover, it would increase his approval ratings and even Democrats would admit he did something good.

Hopefully sanity will reign and this bill will be sent to President Trump's desk where he can sign it. I would be so happy and I would consider President Trump's presidency a total success if he does so. It would get rid of a massive headache I have to face twice a year and would also likely save lives considering how sleep deprived everyone is and how many accidents happen after everyone loses an hour of sleep. Here's hoping that this legislation passes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment