Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Mexico's President-Elect Andres Manuel Lopez Orbador forgoes armed guards.

Andres Manuel Lopez Orbador (Almo). The Guardian/Reuters. 

Mexico's President-Elect Andres Manuel Lopez Orbador, also known as Almo, has decided to give up armed protection. The Guardian. Almo says “I don’t want bodyguards, which means the citizens will take care of me and protect me”. Almo won the election in a landlside but the move seems dangerous in a country mired in a decade long drug war that has killed hundreds of thousands of people, including many politicians. The move is among many of Almo's populist and leftist reforms. 

My Comment:
Seems like a foolish descion by the new president of Mexico. Even if the country wasn't a war zone there are always going to be crazies that want to make a name for themselves by attacking a major politician. And I am guessing Almo is going to have some major enemies both domestically and foreign. This seems like a bad move to me. All it takes is one nutjob and he could be gone. 

Of course the main problem is that Mexico is indeed a war zone and there are factions in Mexico that are capable of attacking Almo. The cartels are brutal and have a real reason to attack Almo if he pushes them. The have the means, the question now is if they have the motive. 

I am guessing that they probably don't. Almo has said he is going to try an negotiate with the drug cartels to try to put an end to the violence. I don't see that going well for him but given that is his policy I doubt the cartels would take a shot at him. 

And I also think that the cartels would be foolish to try and murder Almo. If they succeed they turn him into a martyr and may turn more people against them. Sure, people would be terrified as well but I don't think that even the people of Mexico would stand for that. 

There would be an international response as well. There aren't many situations where I could see the United States deploying troops to Mexico but a coup attempt against the President of Mexico would be one of them. It might be the thing that finally forces the United States to move on the cartels militarily.  

Despite the foolishness of this move by Almo, there is something to be said for it. It does make him look like he is following his word by trying to act like someone who cares about wasted money. He's a populist, despite being a leftist, and wants to do things that are for the people. It will also allow him to meet with his people one on one and better connect with him. 

This whole situation is similar to our current Pope. Though I do NOT like the man, I do have to admire how Pope Francis has no fear of meeting with his people, despite the obvious and numerous threats against his life. It's an act of bravery to forgo security like this so it is admirable even if it isn't advised. It's pretty clear that Almo is taking a page of his book. 

As for Almo himself, I don't like him or his politics. I see the country ending up like Venezuela pretty soon if they don't change course. Populism and bravery aside, leftism isn't the answer for Mexico. And I don't see how Almo is going to win the drug war against the cartels if he doesn't want to fight them. Still, he's going to be president now and there isn't anything we can do about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment