Saturday, August 30, 2014

Military coup in Lesotho? USA Today/AP

Prime Minster of Lesotho, Tom Thabane. USA Today/AP

Police and Soldiers clashed in Lesotho as rumors of a coup against Prime Minster Tom Thabane run rampant. -USA Today/AP.  Lesotho is a tiny country that is completely surrounded by South Africa.The conflict comes after Thabane suspended the parliament. The military seized two police stations and disrupted radio stations. The military claims that the police were going to provide arms to protesters and deny any coup attempt. They claim that everything is back to normal.

My Comment:
I posted this for two reasons:
1. It's fairly rare in this day and age to have military coups. They just don't happen that often anymore.
2. It's probably going to be the only time I would ever have anything to say about Lesotho. And it gives me the opportunity to say how dumb I think it is to have a country completely surrounded by another one.

In all seriousness though, this is yet another example of a dysfunctional African Government. I've heard rumors that Thabane has fled the country but given my lack of knowledge in the area I have no idea if it is true or not.

UPDATE: BBC has confirmed that Thabane has fled the country. Sounds like Thabane thinks he's dead meat if he returns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment