Monday, July 28, 2014

France offers asylum to Christians displaced by ISIS. Yahoo/Reuters.

Iraqi Christian refugees rest in a church. -Yahoo/Reuters

France has offered asylum to Iraqi Christians fleeing persecution and death from ISIS militants. Yahoo/Reuters Christians in Mosul, Iraq were given an ultimatum to either convert to Islam, pay heavy punitive taxes or die. The French Government has committed itself to protecting and accommodating Iraqi Christians in a joint statement by their foreign and interior ministries. 

My Comment:
I've got mixed feelings about this one. I am glad that these people will have a place to go where they will be able to live relatively decent lives. I don't think it will be easy for them in France. No migrant population has been able to assimilate instantly and they will compete with native French and other immigrants for jobs and resources, but at least they won't be exterminated.   

My criticism is the same that I have for any group of migrants; why are you leaving instead of staying at home and fighting for a better life? Someone is going to have to fight ISIS and if they aren't stopped they will probably follow these Christians right to France. You can't run from your problems. Sooner or later they catch up with you. I know that "stand and fight" is an easy thing to say from my comfortable life in America but it just isn't in my psychology to understand running. I'd rather fight and die then flee and lose everything that made me who I am. Maybe it's just me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment