Saturday, August 23, 2014

More money is being raised for the defense of Officer Darren Wilson then for the family of Michael Brown. -CNN

Officer Darren Wilson. -CNN/Facebook

More money is being raised for Officer Darren Wilson then for the family of Michael Brown on charity website gofundme.com. -CNN. At the time of the report, Wilson had raised over $235,000 while Brown's family raised only $165,000. Messages for support for both sides were posted on each of the fund raisers. 

My Comment:
As of this posting, Brown's gofundme account is at $192,805, just shy of its $200,000 goal. Officer Wilson's page exceed it's goal of $234,910 and has started a second page that has collected an additional $49,221. CNN forgot to mention (or didn't know) that a certain imageboard, known for stirring up trouble and that will not be named on this blog under any circumstances, was a large part of getting the word out for Officer Wilson's page. They legitimately support Wilson though, in their own demented way, along with many thousands of cops and regular people as well.

What's my take on it? People have way more disposable income then I do. I understand wanting to correct a perceived injustice, but I don't understand how people have the money. I wish I was rich enough to spend money on charity. Oh well. Either way though it shows that this case is important. Passions are running high on this case and it really isn't about who is right or wrong, but that your team is winning. And, for now at least, Wilson's side is winning.

 If someone pointed a gun at my head and said donate to one side or the other, I would vote for Wilson. Why? Brown's family has more then enough money to bury their son. Wilson is going to need all he needs and more to attempt to defend himself. I'm a strong believer in the presumption of innocence, and these kinds of media trials rub me the wrong way. Even if he is 100% guilty he still deserves a fair trial, and the sad truth of the matter is in this kind of case you need thousands or even millions of dollars to get one. Even if he is acquitted, he will end up just like George Zimmerman did. Broke and unemployable. I don't think that is justice. 

And just in case you want to donate to either party for some reason, I will link to both...

No comments:

Post a Comment