Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Immigrants riot in France. Yahoo/AP

File photo of immigrants rioting in France. Yahoo/AP

African migrants are rioting in France after attempts to get into Britain. -Yahoo/AP French riot police fired tear gas into the crowds in Calais, a port city on the English Channel, wounding 53 people. 1300 Sudanese and Eritreans have flooded the city. Some have managed to cross the English Channel into Britain. Calais is the last stop of the route these migrants take to England. They cross over in Italy, travel through France and finally attempt to get into England. Britain is seen as the best destination for illegal immigration because of their positive treatment of migrants.  

My Comment:
I've said this before but the EU immigration debacle is probably one of the most important 21st century issues that is getting next to no coverage in the United States. I don't have any solutions to these problems but I have to question why Europe is allowing these people in? From a strictly pragmatic viewpoint, I don't see any benefit in letting thousands of migrants into their country. Sure there are humanitarian reasons but at some point people are going to have to fix their own countries. This is of course, much like the situation in the United States with it's immigration problems. But unlike the Mexicans, they don't even have the excuse of "it used to be our land". Africans have no claim on Europe. I'll admit I don't know enough to really say that my thoughts are settled on this issue but as of right now I can't see what the end game is here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment