Sunday, July 20, 2014

What is it about the Israeli/Palestinan conflict that turns people into morons?

Earlier I posted an article about Barack Obama's foreign policy woes. Like all of my posts it's automatically posted and tagged on Google+, which is a great feature by the way. Somehow, even though it was is primarily about Obama, it got the Gaza tag. I am on record as not wanting to post about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. To summarize, it's not nearly as important as everything else right now, I don't care about it all that much and, most importantly, NOBODY can discuss it rationally. What does that have to do with anything?

Props on the profile pic anti-Israel guy!

That was posted on my Google+ page. Now I don't have any problem with people doing some light trolling, which is why I blurred his name, (incidentally if you guys figure out who he is, leave him alone), but I was confused as to what he trolling about? I know it was a fairly anti-Obama article so I figured it was that. So I clicked on his page and it was pretty much all anti-Israel stuff. I guess it could have been something else that pissed him off but considering the context I think it was the mere mention of the Gaza conflict. 

Which brings up my point. What is it about this conflict that turns people into raving lunatics? I have seen honest to god Nazi's on the internet who, under normal circumstances hate Muslims and openly call for nuking Mecca (real nice guys those Nazi's, what with constant calls for genocide), claim that Palestinians are some poor oppressed people who have never done anything wrong. On the flip side I have heard people sincerely say that Israel has never done anything wrong ever and to even consider not supporting them 100% or criticizing them in any way is basically treason against the United States. 

Any online conversation about the conflict will immediately devolve into antisemitism, misplaced nationalism, Holocaust denial, paranoia, 9/11 truthers, that horrible satire picture of a Jew clasping his hands, accusations of shilling and painful amounts of stupidity. Both sides are equally guilty of this. That needs to be repeated. BOTH sides are equally guilty of doing this. 

So why is it like this? Well racism and prejudice is a big part of it. Neither sides supporters see their opponents as being human. Antisemitism is nothing new and neither is hating Muslims. Sure there is a subtext of rooting for the underdog with the Palestinians and misplaced sympathy for the Holocaust for the Israelis, but I really think it's mostly prejudice and hate. 

The truth is the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is like almost any conflict. At best it's grey vs gray. At worst it's black vs black/evil vs evil. Just like every other conflict in history. It is in no way special and neither side has a monopoly on being evil. Like any other conflict there are heroes and villains on both sides, but the vast majority of people are just trying to live. And the conflict is so old and both sides are so locked into the cycle of revenge that they both probably deserve each other at this point. 

It's my opinion that unless you live in the area or there is some major foreign policy push by your government (and there isn't really one right now in the United States, Obama doesn't care about foreign policy, and even if he did there are bigger issues in the region) nothing is to be gained from discussing the conflict online except for masturbatory self congratulation for the two extremes. There is no middle ground on the internet while it is clear, to me at least, that both sides are basically the same. 

I'm sure if I get any comments on this post from the public at large it will be calm, rational and informative. As for me, my plan from now on is if anyone ever talks about the conflict I will ironically call for a new crusade so that both the Israelis and Palestinians can be pushed out of the region forever and a new Christian Kingdom of Jerusalem to be formed so nobody can be happy. THAT is how you troll. My true opinion is still of apathy. Either way, I just don't care. I just hate the internet arguments.  

Also, anti-Israel guy, shine on you crazy diamond! Thanks for the article idea... I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment