Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Donald Trump announces 2024 run...

 

Donald Trump. 

As you may be aware, Donald Trump has just filed the paperwork to run in 2024 as president. This was expected news, but it doesn't make it any less important. Donald Trump still leads the Republican Party and I personally think he is a shoe in to be the candidate in 2024. I haven't watched his announcement as I didn't really see the need to, everyone knew he is already running. 

Unlike 2020, it is very possible that Trump will face a serious challenge. Many people are floating Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, but he is far from the only one. Many in the GOP are blaming Trump, someone incredibly, for the 2022 midterms not being a huge victory (it wasn't his fault, it was mail in ballots and ballot harvesting and it's impossible to argue otherwise) and there is a faction that has always hated Donald Trump. 

I hope, for Ron DeSantis sake, that he does not run in 2024. I like DeSantis and I would support him for President if Trump was not running. But since Trump is running I hope he does not. Why? Because Trump will destroy him. Remember, Trump ended the career of so many GOP hopefuls in 2016. When is the last time you have heard from Jeb! Bush? Trump is excellent in destroying his enemies and Ron DeSantis would make himself one if he decides to run. I don't want Ron DeSantis to face the same fate. I don't think he can beat Trump and it would be foolish to even try. By running in 2024, he's ruining his chances in 2028 and perhaps his entire political career. 

Can Trump himself win? I have no idea. He basically won in 2020 but it turned out that it didn't count. Given how terrible the 2022 midterms were, votes still  haven't been counted in every state and it's clear that at least some of these races were stolen. Trump would obviously wipe the floor with Biden, or whoever the Democrats limp to the finishing line with in a fair election, but I am not expecting anything close to a fair election in 2024. 

I think it's probably too late to stop the Democrats ballot harvesting operation but there is still things Republicans can do to help Trump win. If they focus on ballot harvesting operations of their own then they could have a chance in 2024. If that is the case than it hardly matters who the candidate is, after all, John Fetterman and Katie Hobbs manage to win with Hobbs being completely unelectable and Fetterman being a potato. 

I do think that this announcement is premature. The Georgia Runoff is next month and I would have preferred to have Republicans unite to get Herschel Walker over the finish line. We shouldn't be campaigning for 2024 while the 2022 election isn't over with. Some people say I never criticize Trump, but that's not true, this was absolutely terrible timing and I think it's an obvious mistake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment