Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Elon Musk says he would reverse Donald Trump's ban on Twitter.

 

Elon Musk. Debbie Rowe. 

Elon Musk has said that he would reverse Donald Trump's ban on Twitter. Fox Business. Musk said that he did not support permanent bans in the vast majority of cases, reserving the punishment for bots, scam or span accounts. He pointed out that he could not do so at the moment as the Twitter deal he made to purchase the company had not gone through, but could do so in as little as two months. Musk said that former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey agreed with his argument, though Dorsey has not said anything publicly as of this writing. Donald Trump for his part has said he would not return to Twitter, preferring to stay on his own social network, Truth Social. 




My Comment:

I personally think that Elon Musk should have kept this to himself for the moment. He just gave the far left an even bigger reason to assassinate him, a possibility Musk himself seems to acknowledge. I would have greatly preferred he would have not commented on this until the Twitter deal went through. 

 

To the left this is a huge threat to them. Donald Trump was very good at using social media and it helped him win in 2016. And they know if Trump comes back a lot of other people they can't stand who have been banned will come back too. Their ideas can't stand unless they are in a vacuum so if they have their enemies on social media they will be in big trouble, bigger trouble then they already are in. 

I do think that Musk is right, letting everyone post on Twitter is the best thing for the platform and the best thing for the country. The thing with Twitter is that if you don't want to see certain content you can easily block it. Indeed, if you aren't making widespread use of the block and mute buttons you are doing Twitter wrong. But that is up to the user, not the company, to decide. 

I do think that there are some people that deserve a perma-ban but those folks are few and far between. If I was in charge the only people I would perma-ban would be scammers, spammers and bots. I'd also ban people who posted illegal content but, to be fair, I wouldn't have any choice about that. Musk seems to agree with that and I can only hope that he keeps his word here. 

And I don't think people who aren't on Twitter understand how much you have to censor yourself on there if you have any opinions that aren't far left woke in nature. Even being the wrong kind of leftist can get you in trouble. I know I personally ate a 24 hour ban for calling Kyle Rittenhouse a hero, just weeks before the opinion became a lot more acceptable to the mainstream after he was acquitted. That's a good example of what I was talking about because I was right and the people that censored me were wrong and obviously so. But even to this day there are people that believe that Rittenhouse was not acting in self defense.

As for Donald Trump, he would be wise to rejoin Twitter as soon as possible. I know he has a personal investment in Truth Social, but from what I understand it has not been doing that well. The money he invested in the company is nothing compared to the money and influence he can get on Twitter. Trump was one of the biggest draws on Twitter and if he goes back onto it he can greatly expand his influence. 

The thing with Twitter is that despite how terrible it is for conservatives, it is still the most used social network for us. Why? Largely because of network effects. Twitter is where almost everyone is so moving has a major cost. Though I have accounts on both Gab and Parler, I have never considered getting rid of my Twitter account. Doing so would greatly reduce my reach for this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment