Sunday, April 4, 2021

Will vaccine passports help the GOP take back the House and Senate in 2022?

 

Vaccination rates globally. Our World in Data.

Republicans are banking on opposition to vaccine passports to help them take back the House and Senate in 2022. The Hill. Though vaccination has been successful many people dislike the idea of having to show proof of vaccination to participate in life. Republicans believe that vaccine passports will be unpopular and that they are a clear violation of civil rights. Republicans only need to take 5 seats in the House and 1 seat in the Senate to regain control and historically Presidents lose seats during their first midterms. 

My Comment:

I oppose vaccine passports about as much as you can oppose something. I think it is a total violation of medical privacy and not something that anyone needs to know about. I shouldn't have to show proof of vaccination just to go to the grocery store. Period. 

And I say that as someone who has gotten the first dose of their vaccine. I got the vaccine since I am at slightly higher risk then others my age and because I think it is worth the risks for me. If was was a decade younger or had a less serious history of bad flus I probably wouldn't have gotten it. But regardless of my choice the fact of the matter is that it is my choice and not anybody else's. 

Generally speaking that has been what I have been hearing at work. Most people have gotten the vaccine but a few people haven't. The opposition to vaccine passports is universal. Nobody wants the government or private businesses to have access to this private medical information. Hell, the only reason my company knows whether I have the vaccine or not is because they were the ones who provided it. 

Do I think this is a winning issue for the Republicans? It should be. All but the most dedicated of Coronavirus doomers are mostly over the virus. Once the vaccine became available most people stopped caring. The last thing people want is a reminder that the virus exists. 

And I have to say for a state that is already mostly open, it would be a huge step back from what we already have. Other than most companies requiring masks, here in Wisconsin we can pretty much do whatever we want. The bars and restaurants are open, people are seeing live music and I know a lot of people that traveled for Easter. Forcing people to get vaccine passports will be a huge step back for us since it is already mostly normal around here. 

Will this be the winning issue for Republicans though? I kind of doubt it. I think this idea won't get anywhere due to widespread opposition. I think voters will have forgotten about the Coronavirus pandemic in general, let alone proposed vaccine passports by 2022. 

My guess is that the election will come down to the economy, which I predict will be in the dumpster by the end of this year. Gas prices are going up, housing prices are insane and the recovery from the pandemic hasn't even started. Yes, Wall Street has recovered but Main Street has been devastated by the virus and the government has done very little to help. And the stimulus bill? It did very little for working class voters who the Democrats need to win. 

And if it's not the economy it is going to be the performance of Joe Biden. So far to me, he has been an utter disaster. He's failed to pass many of the progressive reforms the far left wanted and it's also very clear that he is senile. He managed to restart a border crisis and has not handled anything well. That, along with the tendency for incumbents to lose seats in the midterms mean that the Democrats control of the House and Senate is done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment