Monday, December 14, 2020

Vaccinations begin against Coronavirus in the United States.

 

Sandra Lindsay, a nurse from Long Island, was among the first people vaccinated against Coronavirus in the United States. Politico/AP.

Vaccinations using Pfizer's Coronavirus vaccine have begun in the United States. Politico. President Trump celebrated as the first vaccines were administered. Sandra Lindsay, a nurse from Long Island was among the first to be vaccinated and it was carried on live television. If the vaccine is successful it could lead to the end of the pandemic as soon as this fall, if not earlier. The initial shots are going to health care workers and nursing home patients first, with others being vaccinated as supplies increase. The second Coronavirus vaccine, created my Morderna, will be evaluated this week and could be approved later this month, which would speed up vaccination times. 

My Comment:

I have covered the vaccination efforts extensively so this will be a shorter post. But I did want to write up something as this is the best news this country has had in a long time. With the vaccine available the most vulnerable people should be protected and the death rate will completely collapse. A lot of lives are going to be saved in the next days and weeks. 

As for the first people to get the vaccine, I think it should have been a long term care or nursing home patient. Nothing against health care workers but the fact of the matter is that Coronavirus isn't killing younger and healthy people, which most health care workers are. I know there is an argument for doing so, I just disagree with it. 

I think I disagree with Dr. Fauci, who was quoted in the article that it might take until fall before things are back to normal. I think by Spring, or Summer at the latest, the death rate and infection rate for the virus will have collapsed to the point where most restrictions can be lifted. It might take until fall for the virus to go away completely but I don't think we have to wait that long for us to loosen things up. 

Keep in mind that the other vaccine, by Morderna, is coming out soon as well. This vaccine is a lot easier to work with and won't have as many logistical problems as the Pfizer one. With both vaccines being used at the same time it will greatly speed up the work in getting enough people vaccinated. 

For my part I am ready for the vaccine. I do have worried about both versions but I am also sick and tired of this stupid virus and everyone's reactions to it. I do have a few older relatives that I worry about and I want to see them protected. I personally am not afraid of the virus or the vaccine but I will take the vaccine, largely because it will be required to by my job. 

As for the anti-vax movement, I somewhat sympathize. These vaccines are totally new and there are some side effects, some of which are severe. I do think that there are some people that should be allowed to skip the vaccine and I don't agree with forcing anyone to take it against their will. That being said, I think the dangers are being overhyped. I think most people should get vaccinated just to end the pandemic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment