Tuesday, December 22, 2020

President Trump blasts Coronavirus relief bill saying he will veto it unless payments are increased to $2000 per individual.

 

President Donald Trump. 

President Trump has blasted the Coronavirus relief bill passed by Congress saying he will veto it unless payments for Americas are increased to $2000 per individual and the pork spending was removed. Fox News. President Trump explained that the bill had very little to do with Coronavirus relief and decried the large amount of spending on other countries. He also decried the small amount of help small businesses with restaurants especially getting next to no help. 


My Comment:

Make sure you watch that video I posted from President Trump's Twitter account. It's shocking how much money the government is wasting on what is supposed to be a Coronavirus relief bill. Trump's statement was a greatest hits collection of the terrible things in this bill. Giving countries like Cambodia and Burma millions of dollars, giving millions of dollars to arts and entertainment centers that aren't even open and giving money to illegal immigrants. 

And I think Trump is right to veto this. The $600 offered by congress was a joke. Like I said in my last post on this bill, $600 isn't even enough to cover rent. It's not anywhere near to help the people that actually need it. I personally don't, I worked through the entire pandemic, but for people that lost their jobs $600 is nothing. 

Not that $2000 is a life changing amount of money but it's a lot more then $600. For someone like me $2000 would have most of my bills paid for a month. As it stands now, I would probably spend it or hold onto it for a potential down payment on a house. Both would contribute the economy. 

Politically this is a good move for President Trump. Almost everyone I talked to were rolling their eyes at the $600 at best, with most of them furious about what the government was doing. When informed about the money they were wasting on other countries they were all very angry about it.

And on social media? It seems like one of the only things that everyone on that platform agreed on. Ted Cruz and AOC were agreeing, Democrats and Republicans were liking each others tweets and the lambs and lions were lying down together. Everyone was furious with what Congress did and for the first time in a long time the country was united, even if the reasons were varied. 

Will President Trump's effort work? I am not sure. I think that there are enough congress members and Senators to overturn President Trump's veto. Doing so might be political suicide though. Like I said, people are furious over this and I am guessing that they will quickly amend the bill to increase the payments. But cutting the pork? I don't see it happening... 

No comments:

Post a Comment