Saturday, March 24, 2018

Update: French police officer who exchanged himself for a hostage has succumbed to his wounds...

Lt. Col Arnaud Beltrame. CBS News/AP.

The hero cop who exchanged himself for a hostage during the ISIS attack in France yesterday has succumbed to his wounds, bringing the death total for the attack up to four. CBS News. Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame disarmed himself and exchanged positions with a female hostage knowing his chance of survival was low. He left his cell phone on and when the suspect shot him, the rest of the police rushed in and killed the attacker. Beltrame was already a decorated member of the police and had served a tour with French forces in Iraq. In 2012 Beltrame received one of the highest French awards, the Order of Merit. 

My Comment:
I covered this attack yesterday here. I don't have much to add to the story that I didn't say in the last post but I thought I had to point out that Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame was a hero. And from what it sounds like he was a hero long before the events that took his life. He had already one the Order of Merit and he served in Iraq. 

I would have to say that Beltrame went above and beyond the call of duty in this case. Though it was his job to risk his life he decided that saving the life of the hostage was worth the very obvious and almost certain risk of death. I am guessing he knew that he probably was going to die. That's more than can be expected of anyone, but he stepped up to the plate. 

It's very clear to me that Beltrame was a great example of French heroism and a great example for his country. I join French President Emmanuel Marcon, who said Beltrame died a hero. I wish his family, comrades and arms and friends all the best and hope they know that Beltrame died in service of his country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment