Monday, January 1, 2018

Quick TV show recommendation: Dark

Dark poster. Netflix.

This won't be as long as a review as I usually do for movies and TV shows but I wanted to mention that the new Netflix series, Dark, is pretty good. I won't be going into depth with this one but I did want to say that I really enjoyed the series. Think of this as a quick recommendation and nothing like a full review. 

Dark is a German series and tracks families that live in a small town near a nuclear power plant. Children start to go missing and then a body shows up. To say much more would be to spoil it. Dark was a slow burn but once it got going it was fairly shocking. And I think people would enjoy it a lot more if they go into blind. That's a major reason why I won't be saying too much about the plot of Dark other than to watch it. The season ends with a major cliffhanger as well, so I'm already looking forward to the next season. 

It reminds me of a darker and more serious Stranger Things. It has a bunch of kids running around dealing with weird things. And it too has some throwbacks to the genera, such as ET and Super 8. That being said, it is a much more serious series and focuses quite a bit on the adults in the town and their problems as well. I also would say that Dark is a bit harder on the science fiction than Stranger Things was. And, if i were to rate it, Stranger Things would be PG-13 while Dark is very obviously warrants a R rating for a bit of nudity and some graphic violence. 

I do have to point out as a German series, it was filmed in that language. That means you have to either deal with the dub or subtitles. The dub was ok, though in some places you could tell that the original performance was a lot better. I kinda wish I had watched it with subtitles in the original German. Still, if you are a person that hates subtitles or dubbed voices then you might want to skip Dark. For everyone else though it's pretty good! 

Finally, I was kind of worried at first that a German TV series, even one that has nothing to do with it, would be forced to talk about the refugee crisis. Fortunately, the series was almost completely apolitical with only a minor anti-nuclear power thread being present. Indeed, I was very impressed that the series was about as apolitical as you can get these days. That alone makes it worth watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment