Monday, July 11, 2022

New York City releases PSA about what to do in the event of a nuclear strike.

 

A screencap from the PSA. Fox News. 

New York City has released a new PSA abut what to do in the event of a nuclear strike. Fox News. The PSA said the possibility of a nuclear strike on New York City remained low. However, they gave advice about what steps you can take to survive a nuclear conflict. The information is basic and mostly involves getting inside and listening to public safety media. The video also advised people to bag their clothing and taking a shower if they are outside when the blast hits.



My Comment:

Whenever you see something like this you have to wonder "what do they know that I don't". Obviously, tensions with Russia are sky-high right now and our tensions with China are only somewhat better. Are they bad enough that we should be reviewing what to due in the case of a nuclear strike? Perhaps, but this video from New York City isn't much better. 

I do think it is funny that they are doing this in New York City of all places. Of all the cities that would get nuked in a major war, New York City is either #1 or #2 on the list, with Washington DC being the other major one. New York City is a major port, an economic powerhouse and a huge symbolic target. If a war happens it's not only going to be targeted by a nuke, it's going to probably take multiple hits. 

It also makes most of the advice fairly irrelevant. If you are at ground zero this advice is almost certainly not going to save you. Being inside might help but only until the building collapses or bursts into flames in the ensuing firestorm. That means that most of the people in New York City would be doomed regardless. 

Of course I would probably be following this advice if I was for somehow in NYC while a nuclear war was breaking out. Why? Because on the margins of a blast it probably could save your life. Being inside when the blast hits is obviously better than being outside. And if you are outside taking a shower and changing clothing is good advice as well. And you would be wise to listen to what is left of the media and/or emergency services and stay inside until the fallout clears (three to five weeks if I remember correctly). 

The PSA has a glaring problem though and that is a lot of the advice is not going to be feasible after a major strike. How are you going to wash off the fallout when your water is out? How can you stay inside if you don't have a month worth of food and water? And how can you listen to emergeny alerts if your phone doesn't have a charge and you have now power? And if you do have those things, how do you keep them safe from the people that don't?

With that being said, people tend to overestimate the dangers of nuclear war. Millions would die of course and America would largely cease to exist as it is now. But nuclear war is not the civilization ender that it is portrayed. There would likely not be a nuclear winter and what remained of the military and the government would be there to help to some point. Most of the world would only be affected indirectly due to the massive damage to global trade that the war would cause. 

I also think that a person's experience in a nuclear war would likely come down to where you are at the time. If you are in a country that isn't involved and isn't close to the waring parties you would be fine other than the economic disaster. If you were in a targeted city you would likely die. Everyone else would probably survive in the short term and most would probably survive in the long term as well, just at a dramatically lower standard of living. 

In my case I live in a suburb of a city that is likely eating a nuke. I also know that a military base to the west of us would get a nuke, a shipbuilder to the north is taking one as well and the place that I went to college would likely be a priority target since it produces military vehicles (people should be able to figure out that I live in Northeast Wisconsin from those clues). 

That means in the even of a nuclear war this advice is probably good for me. I think I would be outside of the instant death radius but it could be pretty bad if I was outside. If I was at work though, I'd be eating that nuke and it wouldn't matter anyways. If I got lucky though I think I would survive if I was at home and inside at the time. Life would suck afterwards and I would lose many of my friends, family and coworkers but at least I would have a chance, which is more than I would say that most people in New York City have... 

No comments:

Post a Comment