Wednesday, January 7, 2015

12 killed in terror attack in Paris, France. CNN

A still from a Youtube video that captured the attack. Public Domain photo.

12 people have been killed in a terrorist attack on satire magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris, France. -CNN. Masked men wielding Kalashnikov and shouting "Allah Akbar" killed both the jouralists at the magazine and police officers before escaping. The suspects are still at large. Charlie Hebdo was famous for lampooning everyone, including the prophet Muhammad. This is not the first time the magazine has come under attack by radical Muslims, having their offices burned in 2011. 

My Comment:
Here are some live feeds for the event:

As for the attack itself, I'm fairly disgusted by it. I watched the video the picture above came from and it was terrible. The gunmen executed a wounded cop, who had his hands up, in the most casual manor I have ever seen. If that is something you really want to see you can probably find it but I wouldn't recommend it. No mercy whatsoever. CNN is playing the video right now, but are at least censoring it somewhat. 

As for Charlie Hebdo itself, I've been aware of them for some time now. I don't know that much about them but I do know that they have never wavered in their commitment to publishing cartoons no matter who those cartoons offend. Even today they were to publish a cartoon about the leader of ISIS. The idea that someone would kill someone over a cartoon is just insane to me. It sounds like at least 10 of the dead are journalists, 4 of which were cartoonists. 

France will hopefully catch these guys before they kill anyone else. Unlike many Americans, I genuinely like France. They were my countries first ally after all, and they have a strong a professional army. My heart goes out to them. 

I'll keep tabs on this story and may update it as the day goes on. At the very least I will have a recap of the days events this evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment