Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Last night in Ferguson was utter chaos. Yahoo/Reuters

Protesters on top of a car. Yahoo/Reuters.

Riots and arson marked protests in Ferguson after Darren Wilson was no-billed in a grand jury decision. Yahoo/Reuters. Shortly after the announcement protesters started to throw rocks and bottles at the police. Gunshots were heard and shortly after police cars and businesses were burning. Police responded with smoke bombs and tear gas that broke up most of the crowds. Across the country other protests occurred, which remained peaceful. That was not the case in Ferguson despite monitors from Amnesty International and pleas from the non-violent protesters. 

My Comment:
Looks like my hopes from last night that the protests would remain peaceful were not to be. At least nobody died but it is utterly disgusting to me that so many businesses were burned and reporters were attacked. 

As for the protesters I really don't understand where they are coming from. I just can't relate to them because I can't relate to Michael Brown. I would never rob a store and rough up a shop-keep. I would never walk in the middle of the street when there is a sidewalk available. If a cop gave me a lawful order, even if he was a jerk about it, I would comply. I would NEVER start a fight with someone who is armed, especially if that person is a cop. Ignoring the morality of those actions, from a purely pragmatic viewpoint none of those things make any sense unless you do not value your life at all. The best case scenario for Brown was getting arrested. Even if he had won in the fight against Wilson the cops would have been over him in seconds anyways. The much more likely scenario is exactly what happened. Dead by gunshot in the street. 

Of course the protesters don't believe any of that happened. To them Michael Brown was a perfect angel that did no wrong ever and that Darren Wilson was a card carrying member of the Klu Klux Klan. All the evidence presented is just a conspiracy to them. I don't know how you reach people like that. It is like trying to argue with 9/11 "truthers". No matter the evidence or how utterly their theories get debunked they just hold onto them harder. 

There were many groups that used the whole incident to push agendas. Of course there are the Jessie Jackson's and Al Sharpton's of the world that must portray the world in a certain way. Then there are all the various political groups that have their own agendas to push as well. The media had to get their ratings and even the right side of the political spectrum had to get their digs in. The whole situation is disgusting. 

As for the rioting, I'm hoping it is over. There is a good chance that it isn't so if something else happens, I will report it. For now though, let's hope that I have nothing to report and this whole situation can fade into the history books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment