Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veterans Day

A World War 1 veteran holding the flag of his son who died in Korea back in 1982. Via Wikipedia

As everyone should be aware, today is Veterans Day in the United States and Armistice Day in many parts of Europe. Although the holiday was originally meant to celebrate World War I, in the United States is is one of two "thank you" holidays. Veterans Day is all about thanking everyone who wore the uniform and fought and sacrificed for their country. The other, Memorial Day is for all those that didn't make it back. Obviously, I'm going to use this blog to thank all those who have served and all those that are serving. 

Back in high school, I was seriously considering a military career for myself, but it didn't work out. I have always respected and admired soldiers and I really wanted to be one myself. To the point that I took the ASVAB tests that determine your qualifications and I talked to both the Army and Navy recruiters on several occasions. Unfortunately, a bum knee and general bad health kept me out. To this day it is one of my biggest regrets that I wasn't able to get in somehow. Especially after the 9/11 attacks, the war in Afghanistan and the 2nd war in Iraq. Although going to war would have been dangerous, especially since I wanted to either be a medic/corpsman or a regular infantryman, I would be able to say that I did something for my country. 

As far as veterans I know, some of my best memories were talking to vets about their experiences in war. My grandfather was an engineer in the Pacific during World War II. He served in New Guinea among other places and he occasionally told me stories about Kamakazis and encounters with the headhunters that called New Guinea home. He died before I was old enough to have a serious discussion with him about the war. My uncle was a soldier in Vietnam and in High School I interviewed him about his experiences in Vietnam. It was a fairly serious conversation and I won't go into details here. But needless to say it was an eye-opener. 

A few of my friends are Vets too. If any of them happen to read this, I just want to say thanks for your service. And that goes to any of my readers as well, even if they are from other countries. I've got respect for all soldiers, regardless of uniform, as long as they serve with honor. Defending your country, regardless if you country is right or wrong, is noble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment