Friday, October 31, 2014

What are voters concerned about in the mid term elections? Yahoo/AP

Obama's not up for re-election but he is still part of the equation. Yahoo/AP


What are voters concerned about for this years mid term elections?  -Yahoo/AP. For the most part it isn't social issues. A new AP poll found that Economy was by far the most important consideration with 91% of likely voters finding it important. 74% rated the government response to Ebola as important while terrorism and the handling of the terror group ISIS came in at 77% and 73% respectively. Traditional wedge issues, that often favor democrats were not nearly as important. Only 32% of likely voters thought gay marriage was important while a slightly larger number, 43% said abortion was important. Immigration was ranked slightly more important 57% ranking it important and 61% saying illegal immigration was a serious or very serious problem. Health care was the big social issue with 78% of people ranking it important. Obamacare is still deeply unpopular with 58% of voters saying it should be repealed.

My Comment:
The link to the poll itself is here. 

Kind of an odd article by the Associated Press. The data was interesting but they spent most of the time talking about domestic issues... that nobody seems to care about. I know in my life when people are talking it is not about gay marriage or abortion. It is about ISIS and Ebola and how the government can't seem to do anything right. The news cycle right now is just insane and it's hard to focus on anything else then foreign policy. At least that's my take on it. I think that is an advantage for Republicans and I predict that they will probably take the senate. I'm not sure about the various governors races, but I'm expecting a major shift at the federal level. That tends to happen in mid term elections anyways but I'm guessing that this is going to be a big one.

As for me personally, I plan on voting. We don't have any senators up for re-election but we have a very close election between Scott Walker and Mary Burke. I'm voting for Walker just out of spite. I'm still mad about the recall election he had awhile back. Plus, being a huge supporter of gun rights, it would be almost unthinkable for me to vote for someone with a (D) in front of their name. Still, I'm no fan of Walker, I just don't see any other choice. If he is in the primary race for president he won't be my first choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment