Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Israel seems to be preparing for war against Iran.

Smoke and AAA fire during the raid at Hama. NBC/Getty. 

Israel seems to be preparing for a massive war against Iran, US officials claim. NBC News. The official said that out of all the potential conflicts, this one is the most likely to erupt into open warfare. The comment comes after yet another major raid on Iranian troops in Iran this weekend. Three Israeli F-15's hit an arms depot in Syria and killed at least two dozen Iranian soldiers. Iran has sent large numbers of troops and weapons to Syria and has essentially taken over the ground war in there. Israel is seeking US support for their attacks in Syria against Iranian targets.

My Comment:
I'm not sure I agree with the idea that a major war is coming between Iran and Syria. I do think that these kinds of cross border strikes will continue but I don't think it will break out into real warfare between Iran and Israel. Syria is already a proxy war between Iran and Israel so I don't know why they would escalate into a full shooting war. 

That being said I think perhaps that I have a different definition of a major war than these US officials do. I do think that Israel could greatly increase the number of strikes on Iranian targets then they have already. They have already launched 200 cross border raids and I think more could happen. Iran could also launch cross border raids and/or drones. Either would be a major escalation. 

However, I think a major war would be a war where Israel strikes Iran directly, or vise versa. That would be an actual war, not a proxy conflict. Iran could do similar and send a major force to attack Israel directly. If either of those things happen, or both, then you would be correct in saying that there is a major war. 

Why don't I think a major war is likely? I just thin that neither side has much to gain from such a conflict. Plus the Israelis have their hands full with the Palestinian conflict. They are already knee deep into that conflict and don't need another war. 

Iran too is also fairly committed to another conflict. In their case it is the Syrian Civil War. While I think the idea that Iranians have taken over the ground war is a major exaggeration, but they have deployed major forces to Syria. Those troops are very busy right now fighting ISIS and the various rebel groups. 

Still, the fact that Israel has been pushing to end the Iranian nuclear deal so hard is concerning me a bit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gave a presentation detailing supposed violations of the nuclear deal. I don't know if those allegations are true or not but I do think the timing is a bit suspicious.  

So what would a war between Israel and Iran look like? Strange to say the least. Iran and Israel don't share a border at all and would have a difficult time hitting each other directly. Israel could certainly launch airstrikes and Iran could launch global terrorist attacks through Hezbollah, but I don't see their armies fighting directly. 

Unless of course Iranian troops attack Israel directly through Syria. That could happen but if it does the war would be short. Though Iranian troops are motivated and have combat experience, they don't have the weapons, training and air support that the Israelis have. It would be a slaughter, though not a one sided one as the Iranians would inflict casualties on Israeli soldiers and civilians. 

The real danger is that other countries would be dragged into the war. Syria would be by default since they are hosting the Iranian troops. Russia might do something as well and America would likely provide support to Israel. And the Gulf States, who are also in a proxy war with the Iranians might, in an unlikely alliance, help Israel fight Iran. 

Hopefully though calmer heads will prevail. I think some kind of conflict is likely but I think it will just be a continuation of the conflict we have now. I am hoping I am right as a war between Israel and Iran doesn't help anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment