Tuesday, May 15, 2018

About the Israeli/Gaza situation.

As you may have noticed I haven't been talking about the Israel-Gaza conflict. As a major event happening right now, you may wonder why I haven't talked about it. I have, of course, talked about other major events that have occurred in the region, some of them involving Israel, but I have not talked about this one.

Why? Because talking about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is never a good idea. It's one of those lightning rod subjects that people can't talk about without losing their minds. Indeed, the first time I got yelled at writing this blog was because I briefly mentioned the conflict. Both sides of the issue tend to be unhinged for reasons I don't want to get into here. I will say that I have never gotten the flack for other ethnic and political conflicts that I have gotten for covering Israel and Palestine.

Plus, there is the fact that I can't make myself care about it. The situation in Israel isn't that unique. There are dozens of conflicts just like it throughout the world. I don't really see much of a difference between Israel vs Palestine and Turkey vs Kurdistan. That alone is enough to get me in trouble with both sides of the conflict because they both want to claim that this struggle is so much more important than every other struggle.

So, yes, I won't be going down the Israeli-Palestinian rabbit hole. It does me no good to write on the conflict and even though controversy does lead to clicks, it's not worth the headache it would cause. I'd rather write about less controversial things, like elections and gun rights. If someone major does happen, I might write something up, but it would have to be something way more serious than what is happening now.

No comments:

Post a Comment