Monday, February 12, 2018

Footage shows Israeli helicopter shooting down Iranian drone.


A couple of days ago an Iranian drone attempted to enter Israeli airspace. That drone was shot down by an Israeli helicopter. When I wrote about it originally I said I really wanted to see it but I didn't think it would be released. Turns out I was wrong, thankfully. The video has been redacted but you can see the Iranian drone utterly destroyed by the Israeli helicopter.

As an interesting follow up the design of the drone seems to be a copy of the American made RQ-170 Sentinel. Iran famously captured an American drone, supposedly via cyberwarfare. It is fairly impressive that they were able to reverse engineer the drone and are now using it to threaten Israel. That is also fairly embarrassing for us as we should have never let them capture the drone in the first place but what can you do?

It also sounds like the raids in response weren't just limited to targeting the truck controlling the drone (which is also shown in the video). From what I understand a decent proportion of the Syrian air defense network was destroyed as well. With that larger objective it makes a lot more sense that the Israelis lost a F-16.

Anyways, this was more of an update than a full post and it was something I really wanted to share. I always like seeing footage like this and I am glad to see a helicopter air-to-air kill, even if it was just a drone. Such things don't happen that often and when it does it's worth noting.

No comments:

Post a Comment