Wednesday, November 8, 2017

One year ago today Donald Trump was elected president.


I don't have much to say other than that one year ago today Donald Trump was elected our 45th president of these great United States. He defeated Hillary Clinton and shocked the world. Well, to be fair, he shocked a lot of people that should have known better, but again, the smart set said that Hillary would win. She didn't and it looks like she will almost certainly never be president. That alone is enough for me to celebrate. 

I shudder to think what the world would look like now if Clinton had been elected. I doubt America would survive and I don't know if any of us would even still be alive. She was never stable and she was corrupt to the core. I was worried at the time that she might get us into a war with Russia, but given how strong her links are to them, I am guessing she would have sold us out to them instead. Still, a Clinton presidency would have been an unmitigated disaster and I think we would be in a civil war right now if she had been elected. We dodged a huge bullet and I am so thankful that she is now largely irrelevant. 

I also want to point out that I called this victory a long time before people thought it was smart. Indeed, I remember saying that if Trump was the candidate and Clinton was as well, he would beat her as far back as the primaries. It seemed so obvious that Trump was going to tap into the very raw and still very relevant discontent that the American public had during the Obama and Bush years. Nobody else seemed to see it and I could never figure out why. It just seemed so obvious at the time, and even when there were bumps in the road I still thought that Trump would win.  

As for Trump, I think he's doing a pretty good job as President. Congress has let him down on healthcare but that was never a thing I cared about. What I love though is the Trump foreign policy. Under his watch ISIS went from an existential threat to a rapidly declining joke that will soon be utterly destroyed in Iraq and Syria. Relations between the United States and Eastern Europe, Asia and the Middle East (especially Saudi Arabia and Egypt) have greatly improved and Trump has brought a gravitas and masculinity that Barack Obama so sorely lacked. 

Still, I was not expecting all of the backlash. I figured that Trump was going to be another Bush in terms of initial popularity. I expected a honeymoon period with the media and for people on the left to at least give him a chance. Man, was I wrong about that! The media and many of the people on the left have completely lost their minds in the past year and refuse to evaluate Trump objectively. To them, he's evil, simply stated, and refuse to consider any evidence against that conclusion. 

I guess I expected some of the backlash because I had been warning people for months that Trump was likely to win. They didn't listen to me then and they don't listen to me now when I say that Trump will finish up his four years normally and if he runs again in 2020, he will likely win. Some of them don't listen to me at all anymore because they hate Trump so much that they don't talk to me now either. A sad but unfortunate state of affairs in this politically charged climate. 

On a happier note, I always loved this video that someone made after the election. Hilariously enough, the song is by a band that doesn't like Trump, but in the end they stopped trying to fight it. I guess it is more of an internet culture Reddit/4chan thing, but I still love it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment