Friday, October 13, 2017

Fantasy Football update: Week 6

My current roster. 

As you may know, I am pretty into fantasy football. Though the difficulties with the NFL has kept me from actually watching games, I still have been playing the fantasy version of football. Fortunately, it's always been possible to play without watching the games. 

Last year I covered the first few weeks of the season but then my team fell apart. This year my team is doing much better. I am 4-1 and in third place in a tight three way tie with the tiebreaker being points scored. I'm a bit behind the other two teams in points scored but I am also doing much better than I was doing this time last year. 

So why am I doing well? Well for one thing I got really lucky. Week 1 my opponent had a bunch of Tampa Bay and Miami players and that game got canceled due to Hurricane Irma. This knocked out two of his QB's and his best RB as well and left him without any options. Though the game was still somewhat close, I managed to win a game I probably should have lost. 

I have also had a couple of games where my opponents teams just did horrible. These guys didn't have bad teams or anything, just bad luck. How bad was their luck? One guy scored 46 points against me due to a one week collapse and the other lost despite the fact that I had a similar situation where I couldn't field two QB's due to Maroita being out and Cousins being on a bye week. My team came through in both occasions, doing well despite tough circumstances. Both weeks my teams scored way more points than they should have. 

So what can I take credit for outside of my luck? Well I have insane depth at RB. As far as I am concerned I have 5 starting RB's. Picking up 3rd down receiving backs was a very good choice because Chris Thompson and Alvin Kamara are great. And both Kamara and Ingram got a boost in value due to the Adrian Peterson trade. Drafting Chris Hogan turned out to be a major win as well, giving me a bit more depth at WR. Taking Kelce was a major win as he has been fairly good. I also just picked up the Jaguars D/ST this year who have been amazing and were still on waivers for some reason. They have only had one bad fantasy day this year and if they keep it up they could end up winning me some games. 

Still, my team does have some problems. Though I have 3 good WR's and one serviceable one in Rishard Mathews, I don't have anything else on the roster. If more than one of those goes down to injury I could be in trouble. And if I lose one of my QB's or Kelce, I might be screwed because in a two QB league it's very hard to get a good QB if one goes down. Kelce is irreplaceable outside of trading as well. And I never seem to be able to pull off trades...  

I also have a tougher schedule coming up. My next two games are against the other 4-1 teams and they are scary. I am slightly protected by the bye weeks and the fact that Ezekiel Elliot had his suspension upheld, but there is a real chance of me being 4-3 by the end of it. My schedule gets easier after that, but it's not like the rest of the league isn't scary as well. 

Still, this is the best team I have had in years. It would be very surprising to me if I didn't at least make it to the playoffs. I might not make it very far once I get in, but it would take a total collapse for me to not make it there. I've got 5 really good RB's at this point along with three pretty damn good WR's and the 2nd best TE. My QB's are decent and I have a very good D/ST now. If my team can stay healthy and productive I should make it to the playoffs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment