Thursday, August 10, 2017

Giant inflatable Trump chicken at the White House?




The giant inflatable chicken. AFP. 

What can we conclude about this post based on the title and the picture? It's a very slow news day. Right now both President Trump and congress are on vacation so there is very little political news. Internationally, there seems to be little going on as well, with only the North Korea issue worth covering. Since I have already written two posts this week on the issue and no real developments I don't really have much to add. CNN also continues their descent into irrelevancy by firing one of their commentators, Jeff Lord, for calling Media Matters Nazis... which is hilarious, but not interesting enough for an actual post. I'm also pretty sick of writing about CNN. 

The glaring issue I could be covering is the Google debacle. It should be fairly obvious why I am not covering it though. This blog is hosted on a Google owned platform and Google also owns Adsense, which runs the ads on this blog. Though I don't like the idea of not talking about the issue, I also understand that I shouldn't bite the hand that feeds me, especially after what happened to the guy that was critical of Google. Plus, I think it's fairly obvious that someone using Google for hosting and advertisement is probably biased on the issue. If I post anything further about this, it will be on social media, not here. 

So what does that leave? A stupid story about a giant chicken! Apparently some protester set the giant chicken up as some kind of protest about President Trump. The man who set the chicken up, Taran Singh Bar says Trump is chicken because he won't stand up to Putin or North Korea and won't release his tax forms. 

Unfortunately for Bar, I don't think he is getting the reaction he wants. Trump supporters love the thing and a quick perusal of Reddit's The_Donald show that people are already making memes and supporting the chicken. People think it is cute and funny, not a damning indictment of President Trump. Obviously Democrats and Trump opponents might disagree but if his goal was to make Trump supporters upset, he didn't succeed. 

What's my take on it? Well, it's a slow news day when I have to cover it, but I too think it's awesome. I mean it's a giant chicken president, what's not to love? I don't think it's offensive at all, and I hope that in the future people that don't like Trump protest him like this instead of yelling and punching people they don't like. It's one of the rare things that critics and supporters of the president can agree on since there is something there for everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment