Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A quick note about the upcoming Democratic Debate.

For some reason Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are going to do yet another debate. This one will be tomorrow night on CNN at 8:00 PM eastern time. I am going to watch and live tweet the debate. I have done this a couple of times for the Democrats and I did it for almost all of the Republican debates. If you would like to follow along, here's my twitter account. 

I have no idea if I will be able to write up reactions or if there will even be anything worth reacting too. It's been a very long time that I have seen Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders in the same room so I am not sure what to expect. I do think that this debate will be a bit more feisty then the last few Democratic debates due to the fact that Bernie Sanders has actually started to hit Clinton. He's not hitting her on the things I would hit her on, like her e-mail scandal and the fact that Bill Clinton has been accused of terrible, terrible things. But at least he is doing something!

It's a very important night for both candidates. Though New York isn't Clinton's home state, she was a senator there. If she fails to win the primary election there, then her campaign is in more trouble then she is already. Sanders needs to keep momentum up. He's won the last few primaries, 8 out of the past 9, and he is catching up a bit in the delegate count. If he were to somehow win in New York it would be an amazing turn around. Clinton's up 51% to 39% on Sanders, so it's possible that if she screws up bad Sanders could catch up, though it seems unlikely to me.

What am I expecting from the debate? Other then attacks on both sides, I do think that we are going to see Sanders stick to his income inequality script. He seems to be a one trick pony, and when he tries to answer a question on foreign policy, for example, he just seems lost. As for Clinton, expect her to hit Sanders hard on foreign policy, gun control and she might just call him sexist as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if Sanders mentions this incident, where the Mayor of New York said something racially insensitive.

More then anything else, expect both candidates to attack the Republicans. Though Clinton and Sanders probably hate each other, they are united on one thing. They greatly dislike the Republican party and I expect them to throw more then a few barbs at Donald Trump and Ted Cruz. Expect something along the lines of them disagreeing but pointing out that their race is more civil then the Republicans. It's true, and it doesn't bode well for the GOP in November. I also expect more attacks on Donald Trump than Ted Cruz, or even attacks on Sanders and Clinton.

No matter what though, I do enjoy live tweeting these debates and I have been missing the chance to do so. The Republicans have decided to not do anymore and for good reason. I don't know if you could get Trump and Cruz in the same room without a fistfight breaking out at this point... while John Kaisch would stand in the background saying something like "oh jeez, oh man, this is crazy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment