Friday, December 18, 2015

Editor's Note: Why I won't be covering the Democratic Debate this weekend.

Bernie Sanders. Official Photo

Once again, I won't be able to cover the Democratic debate this weekend. I am picking up a 12 hour overtime shift so I won't be able to watch it while it happens live. I wasn't able to watch the last debate either, not all of it, but at least in that debate I was able to live tweet it for a bit. That won't happen at all this time, unfortunately. This isn't me being biased, it's just me being busy. I enjoy covering both sides of the political spectrum, and I actually expect this debate to be hugely interesting.

Bernie Sanders has some kind of scandal going on where one of his staffers accessed some data that he or she should not have, and is now being punished by the DNC. This has created quite an epic meltdown on twitter, Reddit and tumblr, and anywhere else Bernie Sanders supporters gather. Though I am always happy when the left eats itself, I think I have to take Sanders side here. Despite the fact that I don't like him as a candidate, I don't think he should be facing the amount of resistance he is getting from the Democratic Party. The Democrats have thrown all their support to Hillary Clinton and they can't abide anyone that is threatening her. Though Sanders is only a secondary threat at best, they still can't let him hurt her in any way. This is just a phony scandal to hurt Bernie Sanders chances, and I would love to hear what the candidates say at the debate, but I basically have to hope that the media is honest and tells me what happens after it is over. That's no way to run an honest presidential campaign and I think the Democrats should be ashamed of themselves.

I've covered this before and I am sure that this is all just a cynical attempt to keep Bernie Sanders as far away from the nomination as possible. Why else would they have the debate on the weekends? Especially this weekend when the biggest movie in the world just came out? Nobody is going to be home this weekend, everyone is going to be seeing the new Star Wars. And even if they weren't they will be out doing all the normal weekend stuff like going to bars, hanging out with friends or just unwinding from work. (writing all that makes me wish I wasn't working overtime, but whatever).

All of this is extremely frustrating for me since I love posting about this kind of stuff. Watching the Republican debates has been a lot of fun and I enjoy writing about them. I can't do that with the Democrats because they won't let me. Though I am certainly critical about them, at least with me writing about them, someone is talking about them. But with the debates on the weekend, I won't be, and neither will anyone else...

No comments:

Post a Comment